on 31 December 2017
As somebody who was brought up as a Catholic I have a fundamental faith that God exists. However, in today's society and working in an engineering job with many friends who are anti-religion I am commonly coming across vitriol about people with faith and I have realised that I need some more proof for myself and some better answers if/when my kids ask me what my belief is based upon. I had also read the brilliant books Sapiens and Homo Deus recently which really was the first brilliant book I have read where the author has pinned his staunch beliefs in a non-spiritual human to the wall. These books rocked me and also made me feel very sad. I needed to balance myself by reading something from the other side of the argument. This book does not have all the answers and as some of the very lengthy reviews explain, some of the arguments are not backed up by much substance. However, it helped me and I found some of the arguments compelling. I recommend reading it to anybody who is looking and thinking about spirituality and I really think that more people should be thinking about that...
on 10 September 2015
This is strongly recommended for all, even if you, like me, sometimes cow away from the world of Christian literature which is, unfortunately, saturated with trite and poorly written works which do more to undermine the faith than to promote it. Keller's writing is lucid and accessible, and uses arguments which are intellectually convincing. It's certainly the best book I've read of its type.

I think he relies a little too much on C. S. Lewis for quotes. Although Lewis' reflections on Christianity are profound, Keller's book would have more credibility if he used a wider range of sources.

Also, I was disappointed that he didn't address one of my big 'issues' with my Christian faith: what happens to the souls of those who never had the chance to hear the Gospel?

Some chapters are weaker than others, but overall this is a fantastic resource and is highly recommended to Christian or those who are seeking (sceptics are likely to feel affronted as Keller is quite critical of the secular mindset!).
on 4 October 2017
The book is very well written and easy to follow. The arguments are clear and cogent. Keller shows an appreciation of differing viewpoints to biblical Christianity and handles them graciously and with respect. This is a very valuable tool in seeking to present the gospel in a secular age. I would recommend it to anyone trying to comprehend where people are in their understanding when it comes to their worldview and how the gospel presents a challenge to that worldview. If we treat those outside the kingdom with respect they are more likely to engage in debate.
on 13 April 2017
I recommend this book for those who don't mind being challenged about their beliefs. It does it in a smart and kind way.

Is well written and covers a broad selection of premises against religion and the Christian faith.
on 8 February 2013
This book manages to satisfy two very difficult situations at once. It firstly takes the Christian message of hope and love and establishes it on an unassailable foundation with powerful well constructed logic that left this reviewer breathless. Tim Keller goes the extra mile and examines some of the most controversial questions that Christians are asked and answers them in such a way as to give the reader a new confidence in dealing with them. The greatest triumph of the book is in the way that Keller deals with the second situation. He never looses sight of the intimate message of hope and reconciliation that is central to Christian message and he sensitively confronts the reader with it in a way that leaves him or her both challenged and closer to the one who is central to that message. This is a book that uplifting and encouraging and worth it's 5 star rating.
on 17 December 2013
I suppose it is fair to say that those who believe or hold to a certain view, after some time the reasons for believing or holding that view tend to lose their clarity, or at least the beliefs or views become such a part of us that we tend to forget why altogether. I say this as someone who has believed the Christian message for some years and have in recent months had many opportunities to talk to unbelievers about faith and belief. The thing I have learned most from all of this is that contrary to the perception from the media people are happy to engage in conversation about such things, and that when they do my belief has become such a part of me that I have found myself unable to answer simply and succinctly many of the common questions asked.

Though this book is chiefly written for unbelievers, it is immensely useful for believers too. Keller puts forth counter-points to many of the assertions/doubts that come against belief in God in general, and then puts forth the reasons for believing that the message of Christianity is the true revelation of God. The believer will be equipped better able to deal with the honest questions that come from friends, family etc in a way that is not unattractively dogmatic, but by making the inquirer see for himself or herself the problems and inconsistencies of their viewpoints. The reader is then equipped for demonstrating that the Christian message is the revealed truth from God in a way that assumes no knowledge of Christianity and with frequent, helpful references to the popular and cultural world in which we live.

But it shouldn't be seen solely as an apologetics book. It refreshes the mind and heart of the believer. The chapter on the forgiveness is one of the best, where, after building on more personal illustrations, Keller eloquently describes the substitutionary nature of Christ's death, and one is truly drawn into seeing the divine transaction take place. In that description he shows that the Christ had to be God-incarnate, and the illustrations used will be helpful when answering the door to knocking Jehovah Witnesses.

A fair criticism within Christianity is that people build their altars but have no fire, and there are others who seek the fire but without building a solid altar: namely that there is either knowledge or passion. This book will help with both.
on 18 April 2014
Deep questions are asked of and objectsions made with regard to the Christian faith.
Timothy Keller seems to be able to answer these calmly, logically and reasonably in a way that leaves me thinking, 'Of course that makes perfect sense'.
He also manages to do this without belittling the fact that people do have these questions and he says that Christians should not get all defensive about answering these questions but see them as legitimate and in need of answering.
Complicated to follow some of the time ( straightforward most of the time ) but these are big questions so what should we expect.
on 27 May 2017
excellent
on 16 December 2015
This is a great retelling of the book of Mark, written with Keller's great mastery of the English language. I particularly loved the idea of the Trinity dance.
on 14 August 2014
I'm not a sceptic and don't, therefore, really need any convincing of the reason(s) for God. I read this genre of book from time to time in order to try and understand the rationale of others such as the person writing the book. In this case Timothy Keller comes across as an extremely intelligent and thoughtful person who considers all sides of this question including the scientific side which, at a basic level, is an interest of mine. I have no hesitation in recommending this book which is written in a clear and concise way that I, as a non academic, can understand.