Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2017
Given as a gift to a very satisfied friend. Excellent and prompt service. Would highly recommend.
on 6 May 2017
Not too bad but the book is a little bit dated.

Nice easy read. Not too challenging. Enjoyable enough though
on 24 June 2017
A great read, thoroughly enjoyed .
on 1 October 2012
I wish I had seen the review stating that the Kindle version of this book is full of typos as I wouldn't have wasted
money on it. Do I get a refund ? If I bought a book with so many errors I would be returning it !
The story is good, not the best Delderfield, slightly aloof, but still enjoyable once I have figured out what the words are supposed to be !
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 January 2016
This is the first of two stories telling the story of an Avenue in the London suburbs and the people who live there. This book is set at the end of the 1930's and its sequel "The Avenue Goes to War" is set during the second world war.

This book follows the stories of several houses in "The Avenue" & the families & people within. Each story is told in turn rather than just one great story flitting between the characters. This means that you really get an opportunity to get to know the characters. Obviously the stories do intermingle to some extent & characters appear in each others stories but it would be rather false if this was not the case. The lives of the people involved are so very different yet they are all living in the same place with the same events going on around them. This is a wonderful study of how events can affect people so differently. Their attitudes, their ambitions & the opportunities that they do - or don't - take are all laid out.

Not only does this book, and it's sequel, examine the people but also their surroundings & how "The Avenue" changes as the world changes.

I really love this book. Delderfield must be one of the top authors when it comes to social interactions & wonderful characters. This is not a fast action book but it does flow well & you do want to read on to see what happens to everyone.
on 10 April 2016
I read this when I was younger. Revisiting it was as awful as an 'identified patient' embarking upon a family reunion. It is an amazing indictment of the crashing bad taste of my youth. Seldom have so many meaningless platitudes and cloying clichés been crammed together in one terrible tome. The most hilarious deus ex machina is when the pretty girl, with the seemingly awful speech impediment, falls in love. Conveniently, the bloke she falls in love with then becomes deaf. Erm, win win ?
on 27 February 2008
This book is the first in a set of two books. I love the way that it concentrates on one road in a suburb of London and follows the lives of several families. It starts in the early 1900's and progresses to the second world war. Can't recommend it enough....once you've read it you will have to read the sequel 'The Avenue goes to war' straight away.
on 1 August 2008
This book and its follow up "The Avenue goes to War" are two modern day classics. They tell the story of an avenue in South London between the first and second world wars and then continues through the war to around 1948. It tells the story mainly around the Carver family at first and we are introduced to the other residents through the eyes of the Carvers. If this book reminds me of anything it is the wartime film "This Happy Breed" which tells a similar story around a wartime, suburb of London.
Reading between the lines and looking at maps of London I think the Avenue Story is based in Croydon but of course this is Hypothesis and supposition. No matter it is a great story telling the story of the Avenue from 1919 until 1940(The Dreaming Suburb) and then from 1941 to 1948 (The Avenue Goes to War)
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2013
A very good book by an excellent author. I first read it many years ago and enjoyed it just as much today, together with its sequel "The Avenue Goes To War" As someone who grew up in South London, I could identify with the road and the people who lived in it. I t gave me a great deal of pleasure.
on 5 April 2013
Had not read any R.F. Delder field since my teens; I vaguely remember this being televised and am trying to remember who the actors were. I found it difficult to put down as I got so involved in the brilliantly created characters. Reminded me a little of Noel Coward's 'This Happy Breed'.