Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2010
The author takes some situations which have been read about before, and tackles them in a highly interesting way.

He lets you make of the characters what you will, without forcing any conclusions down your throat.

The start was clever, and a bit simplistic.

It didn't take long to get hooked - absolutely un-put-downable.
on 25 February 2017
This story stays with me still.years after reading it
on 20 April 2015
good product. great value for money. quick delivery.
on 4 March 2016
Wasn't sure what to expect but I really enjoyed it
on 25 April 2013
As soon as I started reading this book I couldn't put it down. I was completely gripped. Then about 2/3 of the way through it stopped being believable and the ending was very disappointing. So much so that I almost felt like rewriting it myself because the beginning deserved a far better ending.
on 19 November 2009
As the review title suggests I could not get into this book at all and gave up more than half way through. I have never done this before with a book. I really didn't care what happened next and it was very slow moving. Don't believe the hype if drawn in by the blog on the back of the book.
on 21 April 2009
I absolutely LOVED this book. It really gets to the heart of issues that still haven't been resolved in developing countries even today. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and most of all it made me appreciate what I have in life. For anyone who enjoys a DEEP read... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!
on 17 August 2010
I hoped for so much - something to make me like it. Is it an improbable story or something that happens all too often. It is certainly to incredulous to be believable.

If you must read it, borrow a copy or go to the library. This is certainly one I won't be passing on.
on 30 July 2009
It has been a long time since a book has moved me to tears, and even longer since one this length (375 pages) has been compelling enough to read in a single sitting, forcing me to stay up late into the night to finish it.

This book is one long emotional roller coaster. The horrific lows enhanced in intensity by the touching, laugh out loud highs. The poignancy of the book was increased for me, by the fact that my eldest son is a very similar age to the little four-year-old boy in the book. My son's character is so similar to his, so I kept picturing my family when reading the book, with moving results.

The book is set in Kingston-upon Thames, which is only a few miles from my house, further increasing my relationship with it. The story focuses on two women, one a mother leading a supposedly normal life in England; the other a young woman from Nigeria who has come to the UK seeking asylum. After meeting each other their lives are never the same again.

I won't give away any more of the plot, but just be assured that this is going straight into my top 20 books of all time.

Highly recommended.
on 30 January 2016
Amazing story. Kept my interest till the end