Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 January 2011
The first thing to attract me to Smoke Screen was the ingenious cover, with its casewrap layered with a semi-transparent "smoke screen", so 10 points before I even begin.
Bitt Shelley and Raley Gannon make for excellent lead characters, both flawed with complex personalities. The inevitable thaw and direction of their relationship was nevertheless believably executed and they are each, in their own way, brilliant.

The remaining cast is made up of a colourful, exciting array of individuals, each with their own past, secrets and motivations. Brown has put a lot of effort into making every single character an enigma, and the richness of the supporting cast adds to the story big time.

The plot moves quickly and the dialogue is sharp. There's no "saggy middle" at all, the story just keeps racing forward, albeit to a somewhat predictable conclusion. The identity of the villain/s can be seen a mile off, but the ride is so great it's doesn't really matter if you've already worked out the destination.

(On a side note, Sandra Brown's website is possibly the best author website I have ever visited and I'd recommend you pop along!)
on 14 June 2016
Five years ago a disastrous fire gutted the police headquarters. Seven people died in the flames but thanks to four brave men, most of those inside were rescued. The next day, and forever after, they would be known to the world as heroes.
Now, one of them has called Britt Shelley, a hotshot newswoman, offering her the scoop of her career, and asks her to meet him. The next morning she wakes up naked in his bed to find him lying beside her - dead.
She remembers nothing of the evening before but, to her horror,the police don't believe her. As the finger of blame points to her, she realises that she is the next intended victim . . .
My Thoughts:

I always know what to expect when I read Sandra Brown. The formula is the same, a crime to be solved, a cat and mouse relationship between hero and heroine and some sex. This book like all her others is a pacy thriller with all the twists and turns for good measure.

I like to make sure that I always have this type of book on my shelf so that if I go through a bland patch of reading or just don’t know what I fancy I can always pick up one of these books. For me they are my comfort books because whatever the plot I know I am going to reasonably enjoy it.

Just another pacy thriller with the romance element to it too and will appeal to anybody who likes these type of books. Very much in the same vain as Erica Spindler/ Tami Hoag/ and Karen Rose.
on 28 May 2012
I love my Kindle because I read a lot and can access another book as soon as I finish one. I can also get previous books by my favourite authors where my library doesn't seem to stock books over 4 years old. I have only recently discovered Sandra Brown and want to read as many of her books as I can obtain.
on 28 December 2011
I have read a lot of Sandra Brown's books. Some are brilliant and others leave a lot to be desired. I really enjoyed Smoke Screen. The story unfolded gradually, but there was always another twist to it - right up till the end. Well worth buying.
on 1 October 2013
Read a few of Sandra Brown's books which I have enjoyed. The book kept me reading and guessing until the end. My only comment is that the storyline is becoming 'familiar' - innocents succeed against adversity and fall in love in the process. Will look for different type of storyline if I decide to read Sandra Brown again, but otherwise good for light holiday read.
on 22 September 2010
It was engrossing but I think the characters weren't as great plus I read a similar book to this.

When newswoman Britt Shelley wakes up to find herself in bed with Jay Burgess, a rising star detective in the Charleston PD, she remembers nothing of how she got there...or of how Jay wound up dead.

Handsome and hard-partying, Jay was a hero of the disastrous fire that five years earlier had destroyed Charleston's police headquarters. The blaze left seven people dead, but the death toll would have been much higher if not for the bravery of Jay and three other city officials who risked their lives to lead others to safety.

Firefighter Raley Gannon, Jay's lifelong friend, was off-duty that day. Though he might not have been a front-line hero, he was assigned to lead the investigation into the cause of the fire. It was an investigation he never got to complete. Because on one calamitous night, Raley's world was shattered.

Scandalized, wronged by the people he trusted most, Raley was forced to surrender the woman he loved and the work to which he'd dedicated his life. For five years his resentment against the men who exploited their hero status to further their careers -- and ruin his -- had festered, but he was helpless to set things right.

That changes when he learns of Jay Burgess's shocking death and Britt Shelley's claim that she has no memory of her night with him. As the investigation into Jay's death intensifies, and suspicion against Britt Shelley mounts, Raley realizes that the newswoman, Jay's last sexual conquest, might be his only chance to get personal vindication -- and justice for the seven victims of the police station fire.

But there are powerful men who don't want to address unanswered questions about the fire and who will go to any lengths to protect their reputations. As Raley and Britt discover more about what happened that fateful day, the more perilous their situation becomes, until they're not only chasing after the truth but running for their lives.

Friends are exposed as foes, heroes take on the taint of criminals, and no one can be trusted completely. A tale about audacious corruption -- and those with the courage to expose it -- Smoke Screen is Sandra Brown's most searing and intense novel yet
on 16 June 2009
I really enjoyed this book, I loved the story and the Characters, no one does suspense like Sandra Brown, her stories capture you early on and it's hard to put the book down once that happens, I also like that there is always little romance mixed in, she gets the balance just right, Great book and looking forward to her next one.
on 5 August 2009
I read this book on holiday and I couldn't put it down. Loved every minute of it. The characters are rich and the story is full of action packed twists and turns. It's a sexy, suspenseful murder mystery and I can't wait to read Sandra Brown's next one.
on 14 December 2012
One of my favourites. Love a good suspense. I downloaded a few Sandra Browns to my kindle for a holiday and they kept me totally occupied.
on 27 February 2013
I love Sandra's Brown books
I am keep buying them and hopefully she will write many more
You have what to read