on 13 September 2013
I first read this book about 40 years ago - unbelievable! It was the first Herman Wouk novel I'd read. I've just finished re-reading it, as the book made a great impression on me as a young girl and I'd often thought about it. Re-reading it at a more mature age gave me a different perspective on the principal characters (in fact on all the characters), but I loved the book as much now as I did all those years ago. I think that although it is set (and was written) in different times, when morals/behaviour and expectations were very different to modern ways of thinking, nonetheless the motives, feelings, emotions, doubts, insecurities and actions are ones that people can relate to just as much today as in previous, more innocent times. The book has it all - a great story, many different themes to engage the reader and is simply unputdownable. I highly recommend it.
7 people found this helpful
on 17 July 2014
I remember reading this book almost 40 years ago. I was so engrossed in the story that I read it in one sitting. So many years later the book did not disappoint, I was equally pulled into the life of Margery that it was difficult to come up for air. I love this book, it is easy to relate to the characters, the hopes and dreams of youth and how life has a funny way of dealing out destiny. Great book and a talented author. A true classic.
3 people found this helpful
on 27 July 2017
The book feminists and freethinkers hate to love: Wouk's irresistible saga of how a lovely, not-quite-talented enough Jewish girl tries to make it as an actress before settling gratefully for marriage, children and love. Unfortunately, the conservative Mr Wouk is an engaging and convincing writer. Should probably be banned!
One person found this helpful
on 5 August 2016
A good story, well written but some long passages could have been condensed a bit. Predictable ending. I never felt a great sympathy for Marjorie.
on 22 September 2015
Struggled a bit with this. Although the story was good it just seemed to go on for ever. I felt it could have been shortened somewhat.
on 1 November 2016
Read this book years ago and loved it. I thought I would buy it again but haven't got round to reading it again yet. I'm saving it for a treat to read on the cold dark nights instead of watching the TV. !
on 19 June 2014
I read this book many years ago, print is very small, but it will be a wonderful book as I remember it.
on 10 September 2017
Torn jacket on book. Bad print extremely small. Disappointed.
on 10 November 2014
In another way just as stunning as The Caine Mutiny. What happened to him after that?
2 people found this helpful
on 1 June 2013
I love this book, having read it a long time ago, I wanted to read it again. I really like Herman Wouk's books
3 people found this helpful