on 23 July 2017
very happy with purchase
on 31 March 2013
I read this first when I was younger in the 60's and now I'm in my 60's and it is a fantastic book. I would recommend it to anyone
on 6 October 2010
This style of epic, novel, with overlapping and interwoven life stories, seems to have disappeared from the book shelves. I first read The Carpetbaggers in the late 1960s but recently bought it again as a result of a dinner party conversation. I thought I would see if it still delivered the same levels of interest and the need to keep reading I had remembered.

I was NOT disappointed; I found the various stories and characters enthralling, vivid and compelling. My particular favourite is "Nevada Smith" and this was indeed spun-off as a separate film with Steve McQueen playing the eponymous role. I had remembered this story the most, from my original reading, but the surprises and linking of other characters in other aspects of the links I had forgotten made the book so enjoyable.

I would thoroughly recommend this book and it would make ideal holiday reading or to break up the time commuting.
11 Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 July 2011
When his father dies, Jonas Cord Jr inherits his father's business empire, Cord Explosives, and before long he's also involved in aviation and the movie business. Cord's story, told in first person narrative, is the frame of the novel, which also tells the stories of people Cord gets to know throughout his life, including Nevada Smith and Rina Marlowe, creating a rather complex, nonlinear narrative, spanning at least four decades and running over 600 pages. It works quite well, up to a point, but about two thirds into the book we're again introduced to new characters, David Woolf and later Jennie Denton, and get to read their whole life histories, and by then the novel starts to feel a bit too disjointed. Although the characters are interesting, and all the stories tie up nicely together the pace suffers from too many protagonists. If the book had been shorter, with some of the weaker parts removed, it would have been great but as it is, I'd give it a 3+ rating.
on 23 July 2017
This book is an excellent read, simple English which isn't all too challenging but the story is fantastic. It's a real epic and I would highly recommend it for anyone sitting on the beach trying to unwind.
on 10 September 2012
This is a book from the past; just as good this time round as when i first read it. Interestingly when it was written it would have been classified as unsuitable for young teens - not today
on 21 July 2010
I started reading this book while on holiday in someone else's house, and got so hooked that I had to buy it when I got home to finish it. It is of the time (the 60's)and a bit of an epic, but the story is un-put-downable, to put it in very poor English.
I may have to try some other Harold Robbins books now...
on 8 April 2014
I first read this book over 50 years ago,reading it for a second time I was not disappointed.Its not Dickens & it's certainly not Shakespeare but it is a good read.None of the characters are truly believe alb ,I was forever associating them with actual Hollywood characters but somehow it works
on 28 April 2017
Good old classic
on 19 February 2014
I bought this because I had been watching the TV series on Ian Brady, and several times it was stated that he seemed to feed his mind on this book. I was curious, but I can't get past the first 3 or 4 chapters, but that's down to my tastes in reading. I give it 5 stars because the book arrived quickly and in good condition. The service was good and it's not the sellers fault that it's not my scene.