on 25 February 2014
I found this book incredibly boring. I had to stop half way through as I found myself 'trying' to finish it but it was tough going. I think Peter has done incredible things with his life but book writing isn't one of them.
on 14 April 2015
Brilliant book. A good read :-)
on 11 December 2015
A very good book and service was excellent
on 15 July 2017
Excellent read, a business mentoring giant
on 22 April 2009
... you are thinking of setting up a business/have a business idea, in the process of a start-up, looking for new direction/advice... This is a MUST read! I bought this book purely down to my appreciation of Jones' character and attitude to business. I was left inspired by his insightful and honest approach in sharing his thoughts, experiences and methods. Whilst some might find Jones' style a little patronising, if you are open-minded enough you will see that the no-nonsense stance "Tycoon" takes will put you in good stead, whether you are new to business or not. With a proven track record, Jones is not a person that can be so easily ignored.
on 19 June 2008
Without doubt the worst book I have ever read. All the other 'Dragons' books are brilliant but this is in class of its own.....it is APPALLING.

Don't waste your money. NOT recommended. I'm OUT.
on 19 March 2009
To be honest, I was entirely underwhelmed.

I like Peter Jones from what I've seen on Dragons Den.

I really enjoy reading business books, having very recently read James Caan, Duncan Bannatyne, 3 Richard Branson books and the quite brilliant Felix Dennis' How to get Rich.

This book however left me feeling empty. With all of the aforementioned books I have looked forward to picking them back up again from the moment I put them down. Here though, I almost dreaded having to read it again.

But why?

It all comes down to one main thing. This doesn't feel like it's written by Peter Jones. It feels like it's written by a scholar, not an entrepreneur. And mostly, there's no personality that shines through in the writing. Simply bland.

I have about 30 pages left to read. Still not sure if I can face reading them.

If you want a business book and haven't read any of the ones mentioned above - pick them, not this.
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 September 2007
In this book Peter Jones, known from Dragons' Den and Tycoon, offers a wealth of useful business advice to people thinking of starting their own firm.

Although Jones is clearly a very successful businessman he wasn't always that way and is very open about the fact that he has lost money before, to the point of sleeping in a friend's flat because he had nowhere else to call home.

The book touches on many aspects of running a business, especially a startup business, and in many ways could be seen as trying to put people off the idea. That is probably no bad thing, it is very hard work getting started - no paid holiday, no paid sickness, and ultimately no pay if things go wrong. Most people who want to simply turn up at work, do what they are told and collect the same paycheque every month regardless are not Tycoon material. Unfortunately many of those people would rather gripe and grouse about how unfair the world is than actually look at their own expectations. I guess it's easier to gripe and moan than actually take action.

It is good to see specific points being raised and direct questions asked - Jones challenges the reader to ask whether they are prepared for the inevitable sacrifices that running a business will require and, if they are not, suggests that now is not the time to attempt it.

While I agree with the earlier reviewer who said they might not invite the author around for tea I must admit I find myself intrigued by what makes him tick - enough to join him for a glass of wine if not for dinner!
on 11 September 2011
I read approximately 20-30 books a year and have until now never stopped reading a book before I have finished it, but it was impossible to finish Tycoon! Peter Jones is really good in the show but as an author he is terrible. The money spent on this book was a complete waste, don't buy it.
on 27 August 2010
Everyone encouraged me to not pick this book. It was this, it was that. This book is clearly a basic layout of what needs to be done. All these people who don't like think they know whats best. Do they have the wealth Peter does? No. He clearly knows what he is talking about and would not release a book not worthy of publishing. Ridiculous .

I urge people to buy this. It will make your create your dreams