on 30 November 2017
An excellent read. Sir Ranulph's style is very easy, with the facts and his thoughts presented in a matter of fact way. his style is the same for all of his books about his expeditions, clear and concise. It briefly covers the same period of Living Dangerously (the first book I read of his) and then brings you up to his Everest success. The chapter entitled 'Ginny' must rate as the most moving i have read. having been a fan and reader of 'the greatest living explorer since reading Living dangerously in the '80's I found his words very touching, especially as he lost his life long friend and wife, sister and mother very close together. I highly recommend this book and if you can get it with the audio cd then you are in for a treat.
There's nothing better as the evenings close in than to curl up with a good book, this is one of those books.
on 17 November 2016
I found the second half of the book to be better written and more interesting than the first. It would be easy to play the man and not the ball by criticising the more devil-may-care aspects of his journeys and preparations; such as not even testing to see whether he could pull the 485 pounds sledge before being dropped off in Antarctica, sawing off his own fingers rather than going back to the medics, getting himself expelled from the SAS before reaching his life's goal. Evidently I am much more cautious than he.

I particularly enjoyed the writing where he described the Everest trip and his cure for vertigo. I was not so taken with the Transglobe as it seemed at the time to be simply cataloguing the trip whereas the later passages described his feelings and interactions more.

All in all an enjoyable read that showed both sensible and non-sensible aspects of RF's character, in a life of derring-do and achievement.
on 16 September 2017
Excellent,here we have a man who has conquered obstacles,health,and loss of family and friends,he he has never giving up.The money he has raised for charities close to his heart,is amazing,age is no boundary with sheer determination he has done things that no other person young or old has thought about.Sir Ralph Fiennes,is an inspiration and a true explorer,you have to admire his sheer guts and determination.When death of loved ones has happened,he has found a cause to raise money.This book is excellent and l would strongly recommend you read it.

BERT/Aberdeen
on 25 February 2018
A straightforward account of his life without the self-absorbed introspection for introspection sake or over romanticised vanity. Instead you get a detailed factual account packed with drama, exhilaration, and some very sad moments that hit all the more harder owing to the detail that's gone before. Given how great his achievements are, it's nice that he seems down to earth and doesn't preach to his readers. I finished the book thinking what a wonderful chap, a wonderful inspiring life, and im warmed by it, as it is a nice contrast to the negative-dog-eat-dog-cant-do-attitude world we so commonly encounter nowadays. I recommend any one read this whether interested in outdoor pursuits or not.
on 14 April 2016
I don't normally read bio's but a friend suggested this and it is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It was very hard to put down. At some points it's quite terrifying but knowing that it is an AUTObiography gave me the clue/confidence that Ranulph would somehow survive the various extreme situations he puts himself in!
The book was very inspiring, both in terms of fitness/endurance as well as giving a an insight into the thoughts and emotions of someone who is clearly living life to the fullest.
on 29 November 2016
Firstly, for someone like me who has only a sketchy idea of RF, this book puts meat on the bones of the man . Most importantly , for me anyway was that just because I am over 50 is no excuse to give up on physical challenges. The tenacity of this man is awe inspiring and when things get tough I shall certainly turn to this book for inspiration. An entertaining read which is hard to put down.
on 5 July 2014
Ran Fiennes has I think lived several lifetimes in what most people just plod along living just the one. This book is a blueprint for life. A life lived, full of love, and adventure, a lifetime of achievement and descriptions of what can be achieved rather than excuses of what could have been...might have been.
Although Ran writes from the heart I think even he downplays some of the scrapes he gets into. If he were a cat I think he would have used up those nine lives long ago.
His descriptions of loss, of his wife and of the father he never knew, and the others in his life that have disappeared upwards brought tears to my eyes.
Sir Ranulph, you are a truly inspirational guy. And if ever our paths crossed I would take great pleasure in buying you a beer.
on 22 August 2015
Superb book, I've always admired this man but this was a revelation. I had no idea Ranalph's first wife was such an integral part of his expeditions. I like the fact that Ranalph makes it clear he has to do these expeditions to make a living but it's obvious he's a driven and courageous man. I've since made a list of the books that come up in the book ( especially on climbing) and am now reading these too. Highly recommended.
on 7 November 2013
This is a guy you cannot help but admire.
I found this book easy to read and came away with the impression of a man
who has achieved an enormous amount without needing to brag about it.
Truly one of the last great explorers, he could just as easily have stepped out of the
Victorian age with his British stiff upper lip and values.
His determination, motivation and survival skills are second to none and that,
with the support of some extraordinary people, has put this man in the history books.
A great read.
on 22 July 2016
While I remain in awe of people like Sir Ranulph, you can't get away from the fact - why do they do this?! Having suffered so much in the course of his adventures, one wonders why they put themselves through so much. Mind you, having been self-employed all my working life, in one way, I can understand the thinking.