Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 December 2014
loved this book an unusual story but was hooked from the start
on 9 November 2015
An unexpectedly enjoyable read from an adult's perspective.
on 3 October 2000
Skellig is the story of a young boy who, while struggling to come to terms with a recent move and a dangerously ill baby sister, has his life touched by magic. After the initial discovery of the creature in his garage Michael allows his new friend Mina to share his secret and together they realise that they need Skellig as much as he needs them. A beautifully written story of love and self-discovery.
on 17 June 2005
Michael has strong feelings for skellig he doesnt want him to go away michael also has problems at home with his sick baby sister at hospital with a terrible heart problem. I recomend this book to people who love to read and also to people who have nothing better to do its definately a book you will remember for the rest of life the book has alot of feeling an awesome book-matt jones 4stars ****
on 8 March 2001
Currently reading this book to a group of rather blase Y6s, it has completely galvanised them into literary action. Their immediate question every morning is 'when are we hearing more of Skellig?' The story line has initiated several very interesting discussions as to who/what Skellig is, the connection he has with Michael's baby sister and the state of his surroundings. It has provided me with many 'teaching opportunities', Literary as well as social,discussions about the value of schooling, friendship and an introduction to William Blake and evolution -What more can a teacher ask of a book? Perhaps the greatest praise is that a group of boys, unenthusiastic readers, have eagerly started to read the book for themselves!
on 6 February 2016
Great book and without Prime i still got it next day
on 30 April 2016
Will have a very happy daughter on her birthday:)
on 25 July 2015
A great story for any age, brilliantly written.
on 16 February 2013
The experts at booksfc have just managed to find time to review Skellig by David Almond. This book was previously reviewed by other so called experts as 'profound' and 'visionary'. To their credit, the experts at books fc were determined not to let that put them off, and decided to read it anyway.

Mad Scientist: On the positive side: a book with a brain! Fiction with a dash of non fiction. Skellig is both fantastical and realistic. It touches on evolution, and explains pneumatisation. On the negative side: not scientific enough. I wanted Skellig dissected. And why were there no diagrams? So, overall 3.33 stars

Party Rocker: I've told you before. I don't review books with fairies on the front.

Striker: Well, I liked it. It had some really long words (see above), and some really big ideas (also see above), and at the end of the first chapter I thought it was going to be a bit freaky. But it wasn't. It was just good. I really liked the bits where Micheal went out and played football with his friends, like me, and the bits about his poorly baby sister, who had to go to hospital. There was nothing about fairies. Skellig just wasn't a fairy. So there! 4 stars.

Party Rocker: He had wings. He was a fairy. End of.

Striker: He wasn't. He was a cross between an angel and a tramp.

Flower Power: Oh, I've seen that movie. That's the one where they fall in love and have lots of puppies at the end.

Party Rocker: I've told you before, this is supposed to be a book review blog!

Flower Power: Oh, I've read the book too. It was called... (scratches her head)... I know! Lady and the Tramp. And I loved it! 5 stars.

Striker: Me too. I liked Lady and the Tramp. Particularly the tramp. Also 5 stars.

Mad Scientist: (to Party Rocker): Do you want to tell them or shall I?

Party Rocker: I'll tell 'em. (turning to Striker and Flower Power) I don't review books with fairies on the front or books made by Disney. So there. End of.

So, Skellig, by David Almond, comes out with 3 profound stars, plus 1 sneaky star thanks to Lady and the Tramp.
Reviewed by the experts at booksfc: [...]
on 7 March 2000
Skellig was a very interesting and unusual story about a strange creature that two childeren find in an old garage. The story is not a book I would have usually chosen to read myself but now I've read it I think I will avoid reading the same sort of books because it was so good. This story is one of those that you never want to put down because so much is happening in it. I wouldn't recommend this book to just one age group of readers because of the strange and magical events that occur and the subject it is based on. This is a great book for everyone who enjoy an unusual read.