Customer reviews

A Perfect Spy
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2016
I have to admit I found this book slightly hard going. Unlike the other Le Carre books I've read, the story is not straightforward and there are few 'events'. The narrative jumps backwards and forwards and switches from one character to another's point of view without much explanation which is very confusing until you get used to it. It's well written but I'm not sure I'll read it again.
on 5 November 2016
I'm struggling with this one. Not your typical JLC novel, it never seems to get moving and I am finding the characters difficult to follow with a couple of exceptions.
Disappointing.
on 30 May 2017
Hard going and nearly gave up as it was SO slow and finally reached a decent end but glad I've read it and won't be reading any more anytime soon! Having said that, it is beautifully written as always, maybe it's just me?
on 10 December 2016
I was surprised to find I could not get into it. I blame too many characters, which is difficult as I get older.
on 3 January 2017
This book was over descriptive and difficult to follow.
Preferred his more straightforward writing style in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.
on 6 May 2016
Complex plot leapt about between years and characters. Very interesting but I found it a bit difficult to follow at times. Some characters didn't ring true to me but it outside by knowledge zone obviously. Had to finish it though to find outcome!!
on 4 June 2017
I am reading this novel for the second time and I think I'm appreciating it even more this time round. In my opinion this is his finest work
on 2 March 2017
Not one of his best. Yes a clever deception but not really worthy of a full book. Rather glad to have got to the end. If I had a better idea of what it was all about I would not have bothered to read it. Like the author so has not put me off reading other works.
on 14 June 2016
Le carre's tendency to digress and waffle gets the better of him here. I gave up half way.
on 13 November 2016
A real effort to read it.