Customer reviews

on 29 March 2017
An atmospheric hunt for a mysterious nuisance in rural Scotland of the twenties. Dandy is a sweet antagonist who holds deep skills.
on 11 October 2007
McPherson's third novel in the Dandy Gilver Mystery series once again transported me to the `other world' in the way that only well told stories can. It's a real treat to watch this `sleuth' find her feet and once again unravel a suitably complex case in a tightly knit community that has its own ways of dealing with things.

Read it if you fancy a vivid picture of life in between-the-wars Fife and Rural Scotland: the women are strong here, yet the portrayal of them is subtle and humorous.
Read it if you hanker after the community that 'Rural Institutes' and craft making can bring: it's not all cosy knitting and sweet jam it seems!
Read it if you like the language in your novels to ooze humour and local colour.
Read it if you like suspense and menace and are impressed when this is delivered without the author resorting to laboured, gruesome sex and violence.
Most of all read it if you like your stories to be involving, intriguing and with action right to the plot-twisting end.

Can't wait for the next one.
on 29 September 2007
A great read. Excellent characterisations, lots of red herrings, plot twists and intrigue in a well written mystery which evokes the language, life and times and social norms of rural east coast Scotland in the 1920s. This is the third book in the Dandy Gilvers series - I've read and enjoyed them all. I can't wait for the next mystery featuring the upper class amateur detective.
on 2 October 2009
I am a huge fan of this series of books. Dandy Gilver is a fantastic sleuth - fully aware of her own deficiencies and problems, but her relationships with her chum, Alec, her husband and sons and most of all her fierce ladiesmaid, Grant, make her unique amongst amateur lady detectives.

When she is invited by the vicar to investigate a series of attacks at a nearby village, she plunges in with her usual enthusiasm. This is a book for people who like a classic 'who done it' without sleaze or brutality, but with humour and wit.
on 13 June 2011
This is the first Dandy Gilver book I've read, and I really enjoyed it.

I loved Dandy, with her slightly scatty approach, her articulate voice, and her determination to get more out of life than her dull marriage allows. I loved Alec, and need to read the first book to find out how he came on the scene. I loved Bunty the dog, who was brilliantly characterised. I loved the details of 1940s rural Fife, and all the goings-on in a very "closed-in" village.

My only problem with the book was that I found the plot quite confusing - particularly towards the end, where several strands seem to get tangled together and I wasn't entirely sure what had happened. However, I am never good at this sort of thing, and still enjoy reading detective novels, just for the characterisation and the settings, both of which were very good.

Will definitely read more, and have After The Armistice Ball waiting for me now.
on 23 August 2010
The author has about the finest style of writing of contemporary writers of this genre. Added to this there is are interesting insights into the social structure of 1920s Scotland. I am less sure that the story was first rate.
on 18 June 2008
I've loved every book so far and always look forward to the next one.

The stories and atmosphere are so strong (and it seems to me maybe moving towards a slightly darker undertone?)and Dandelion Dahlia is a unique and delightful heroine.

Unfortunately, Alec (despite the antics in this one) seems to be getting a little stodgy as 'Watson'. I'd like to see a more dangerous edge to their relationship - or at least a little more overt flirtation with Dandy. All the careless 'darlings' just don't cut it...

I'd also like an explanation as to why Alec has apparently inherited his Scottish estate so soon after all that went on in the first book (I'm trying to avoid a spoiler here, but it does niggle!).

It's a a long wait until the next one, but I'll just have to curb my patience.
on 8 May 2016
This is the third of the Dandy Glider books, so I had read it already, but a long time ago. Catriona Mcpherson writes well and has created a believable protagonist. The story is set between the two wars. I have enjoyed all of the series.
on 7 February 2013
Excellent fun and games as usual -Dandy Gilver muddles through to the truth via comic moments, distractions galore and misguided insights that make the most of class and gender hierarchies of the early 1900's.
on 27 April 2011
I gave up after 154 pages. No serious plot, poorly written and wordy, terribly wordy. The same facts and ideas are repeated over and over again. I feel that I lost my time and my money with this book.