Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 June 2001
This book is VI Warshawski doing what she does best, getting in way over her head and loving every minute of it. She's smart, sassy, innovative and like a dog with a bone she just won't let go. When her cousin Boom Boom falls to his death at the docks where he works VI just can't accept that it was an 'accident' as the police would have her believe. No sooner does she start digging a little deeper into the business dealings of the shipping company for whom Boom Boom worked does she get results. As she moves ever closer towards the reason why her cousin ended up at the bottom of Lake Michigan, she finds herself face to face with a dead body in Boom Boom's apartment and then almost winds up dead when her car is tampered with. Someone doesn't want her getting any closer to the reason behind his death, but who? As the story unfolds we learn more about the people in Boom Boom's life and the action is non stop, VI is our tour guide and she does not fail to deliver.
Reading about VI so enjoyable because she is such a determined, capable but essentially flawed character. Along with all the action we are allowed to peek into VI's unconventional lifestyle and her chequered past. She is a herioc, albeit gun toting, female detective of whom I look forward to reading more about in the future.
on 15 April 2015
Ok number 2 down ... on to number 3.
What to say about the book that hasn't been said in other reviews ...A good read. A bit clunky in places especially if you don't recognise (American) fashion brands ..... It gets a little far fetched around the action scenes at times but the quality of the writing is such that I stayed involved with the story to the last page
on 23 August 2015
Deadlock is the second book in the popular V.I. Warshawski series that presently has seventeen instalments. The story is engaging and there’s plenty of action throughout. However, I struggled with the plot devices used to propel the tale along. V.I. Warshawski’s modus operandi in Deadlock is largely the bull in the china shop approach, thrashing around unsubtly to see what emerges, and she fails to document anything or confide in anyone and seems largely immune to the fate of others (such as collateral deaths and job losses) as long as she solves the initial case. The cops are stupid and obstinate and refuse to either listen to V.I. or join the dots between cases that are obviously linked and are clearly not accidents. The credibility of both sets of investigations is pretty much nil, but enable V.I. to barrel her way through a set of scrapes as she seeks the identity of the killer. On the other hand, it’s nonetheless an entertaining jaunt, with an interesting context in terms of the Great Lakes shipping industry.
on 1 May 2012
Having loaned my copys of this author's works and never getting them back this was great to purchase them secondhand as they are great to re-read. The plots are so fast moving one time is not enough to take in every nuance.
on 11 June 2013
Bought this as personally recommended. Also liked the idea of a female protagonist. Unfortunately found it a little disappointing. Found the characters rather two-dimensional, and also difficult to relate to V I Warshowski. Definitely not a character-driven book, but even the plot flagged at times. I found myself able to predict certain developments - not because I read a lot of thrillers (which I don't) but because it all seemed rather familiar (maybe due to too many hours spent watching US tv series). Will not be buying any more by this author.
on 21 January 2013
I love Sara Paretskys books. I read them in a couple of days so it makes sense to buy them used if possible. This is an excellent way to get the books you like for a reasonable price. I stock up with them for holidays. I also like that you can choose the condition of the books, so you know roughly what to expect. I intend to go for as good a condition as possible and haven't been disappointed yet! However, if it is a book I really want and it is in short supply, any condition will do!!
on 23 January 2016
A fascinating insight into Great Lakes shipping and an exciting murder mystery too. VI is a great character too.
on 4 March 2016
I love this series. A sassy no nonsense heroine, and tightly woven well written plots. What's not to like ?
on 15 May 2016
It's a good read, also interesting information about the great lakes of North America
Very Differenz Thriller makes one Want to visit the Great Lakes .excellent read