Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2017
As ever, I appreciate the company of V.I. She's funny and brave and aware. I did find this book a little slow about 1/3 of the way through, but am appreciating it and am sure it will pick up later on.
on 25 June 2017
Introducing VI, a readable start to a great series.
on 13 March 2015
I am now going to have to work my way through the entire cannon .....
on 12 August 2017
Didn't find this very good at all. Just not my cup of tea
One of the first female PIs to gain popularity with the reading public, Paretsky's V I Warshawski is very much the late 70s/early 80s image of a tough female character. Hard hitting, tough talking, she takes on a client who wants her to find his missing daughter, only to find herself embroiled in murder, fraud and a complex web of betrayal and counter-betrayal.

When read today some of the dialogue seems stilted and there is some debate in the text about the aims of feminism, but the story itself keeps moving and Warshawski has an engaging voice, which carries the reader along with her, making it easy to see why the series has such enduring popularity.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 December 2015
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Although I do like a few American detective novels I usually stick to British ones, so finding I enjoyed this so much came as a nice surprise.

This is the first of a series featuring the private detective V.I. Washawski, or Vic to her friends. She is a very independent, go-getting person. However, having said that, this was not a book that harped on about women's lib or sexual equality. She was a very believable character who didn't appear to be superhuman as occasionally happens in thrillers. She got beaten up & it hurt. I also liked the fact that V.I. (she often just used her initials) had some basic intelligence & didn't walk glibly into danger. The other character I particularly liked is Lotty. Lotty is V.I.'s friend who is a Doctor working with the poor in inner city America. She is also very independent as well as being practical & caring.

The story itself was interesting. Primarily this is because we don't spend the whole book trying to work out "whodunnit". Both the reader & V.I. have a fair idea who is to blame from early on. The book is spent seeing how the pieces fit together exactly & proving what we already have a fair idea of. I liked this style. It got round the irritation if the reader has solved it in the first few chapters & also the problem of a grand solution at the end with freshly revealed facts that the reader doesn't learn about until later. Both of these I have encountered & disliked in other books. There was a hint of romance through the book. Not enough to take away from the story but enough to be human & also to lighten the storyline a touch.

If I came across another in this series then I would read it. I did enjoy this book.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2009
This is the first in Sara Paretsky's private detective V.I. Warshawski series. Here we follow VI as she is hired to find a business tycoons missing daughter after the death of her boyfriend. It leads into a web of some seriously corrupt businessmen and some pretty tough gangsters. VI is one tough lady though, with often times laugh out loud wit and humor which rivals that of Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta.
This book is pretty good, the writing and pace are both good but the characters and plot often get a bit confusing and hard to follow. It seems Paretsky was clearly laying the path for a future series and it shows. A good debut to a series I will most definately continue with.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 November 2009
Meeting an anonymous client late on a sizzling summer night is asking for trouble. But trouble is Chicago private eye V. I. Warshawski's speciality. Her client says he's the prominent banker, John Thayer. Turns out he's not. He says his son's girlfriend, Anita Hill, is missing. Turns out that's not her real name. V.I's search turns up someone soon enough - the real John Thayer's son, and he's dead. Who's V.I.'s client? Why has she been set up and sent out on a wild goose chase? By the time she's got it figured, things are hotter - and deadlier - than Chicago in July. V.I.'s in a desperate race against time. At stake: a young woman's life.

This is great light entertainment. It may be dated, but I think that's part of the charm - I can just imagine her putting on the blazers and hunting down the bad guys in her tough girl style. Look forward to reading the next installment in the series. 3 1/2 stars.
on 14 February 2001
When I first read this book - Sara Paretsky's debut thriller, I couldn't believe my luck. A woman private investigator in Chicago. She uncovered a clever fraud in a union's pension funds when she was hired to look for a union bosses daughter & the death of her boy friend. It was unusual to find a P.I. who fought, had a gun - with the action really fast & the dialogue very witty. The first appearance of the brilliant character of V.I.Warshawski - cutting a swathe through a financial swindle on this occasion. Sara Paretsky is a unique novelist, whose subsequent thrillers usually combined detection with campaigning against corruption & inequality. V.I.Warshawski's marvellously angry attempts to bring back honour & ethics to a dirty world are a collectors joy - each novel infinitely re-readable.
on 9 March 2014
I really enjoy Sarah's stories, they are so very hard to put down, I have spent the past couple of days reading most of the time because this story is so good. Her heroine is a tough character who can handle herself well and solve a crime at the same time, I am always sorry when I finish one of her books.I really enjoyed this story. I must finish now as I have another V.I. Story to read!