Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 July 2017
Our 5 year old loves all Mick Inkpen books - this is a keeper
on 7 February 2008
...and one of my personal favourites, about the lovable character, 'Kipper'.

In this story we find Kipper in the mood for a clearout and he discards a few odds and ends from his basket.
However, despite giving it his best shot he finds it very difficult to get a comfortable night, and familiarity overrules in the long run!

From the back cover:
'Kipper's basket is old and worn. His blanket is smelly and disgusting. But can Kipper find a better place to sleep?'

Attractive and durable covers open to 32 high quality shiny pages, packed full of exciting, descriptive text & endearing illustrations, in 2-page spread format.

Example of text:

'Kipper was in the mood for tidying his basket.
'You are falling apart!' he said to his rabbit.
'You are chewed and you are soggy!' he said to his ball and his bone.
'And you are DISGUSTING!' he said to his smelly old blanket.
Out they went.
'That's better!' said Kipper.
But it was not better.
Now his basket was uncomfortable.
He twisted and he turned.
He wriggled and he wriggled.
But it was no good.
He could not get comfortable.
'Silly basket!' said Kipper.....
..and went outside......'

And off Kipper goes to see how other characters manage to get a cosy night, and tries to copy them.....without much success. But....all is well that ends well!
review image
on 1 February 2009
My 18 month old daughter and I love this story and neither of us ever gets tired of it. The illustrations are gorgeous, the story is perfectly paced and the words gently encourage you to act out parts of the story together. There's wriggling and tickling and wobbly standing on one leg to make her giggle, a big splash and an even bigger surprise ... and the story winds down with Kipper falling asleep in just the right place, surrounded by all his familiar friends. I think Mick Inkpen is a genius.
PS. I wouldn't buy this edition though, when for another £2 you can buy the entire Kipper Story Collection and get 3 great extra stories!
on 13 June 2014
I needed this book for a Reception RE lessons on special places and couldn't believe out of all the Mick Inkpen books we have in the house we didn't have this one and nor did we have it in school! Found it on Amazon and the book was dispatched quickly and was just as described.
It's a really sweet story following along the lines of Kipper looking for a different special place but by the end of the story deciding his basket was the place to be!
on 8 September 2013
My son's favorite book as a baby. Beautiful illustrations on white background of favorite animals keep little ones enthralled and the 'Shhhh' at the end had him giggling. Story is the perfect length to keep attention and I don't get bored of reading it either.
on 26 November 2015
I was very disappointed when the book arrived without the dvd, when the description of the item is "book and dvd". I was aware the book was second hand but the whole reason I bought this item was for the dvd which it doesn't have!
on 15 April 2016
i bought this for my son as he loves kipper. we cant find it on on demand on virgin media anymore so i had to find an alternative as hes always asking for it. deffo a top one for the kids
on 11 November 2000
All of my children have loved this book, I did too! Classic humour from Mick Inkpen - we adore all of his work.
on 15 February 2017