Customer reviews

on 23 November 2006
This is such a hugely enjoyable book that I've been spending much longer in the smallest room of late! Can't resist trying just one more round before returning to the real world.

Although I'm disappointed by how much I don't know, unlike so many other quizzes, here almost every question is about something you really WANT to know the answer to.

I suspect that when I finish it, I'll simply want to start again in the hope I've remembered SOME of the answers I didn't get the first time.
VINE VOICEon 19 April 2011
i've read a decent number of quiz books over the years - partly for fun and partly for inspiration in setting the occasional local quiz. This selection is simply head and shoulders above the rest. With most quiz books I get a reasonable smattering of questions which I have come across before. In this case there were very few I had come across before. They are well crafted, well written and will mostly not become redundant with age.

A word of caution, however, I think that anyone just taking this book and using it as the source for a complete quiz would be taking quite a risk unless the participants are pretty hardened quizgoers. There aren't many easy questions here and I could see some of the people who attend our local quizzes losing heart.

But that's not a reason for not using this book. If used judiciously as a source for the more interesting and challenging questions it will provide questions for a large number of quizzes.

Or, of course, you could just read it for the sheer pleasure of acquiring knowledge in an entertaining fashion.

Brilliant.
VINE VOICEon 13 April 2008
I'm something of a quiz fanatic, and I regularly set quizzes for my local pub, so I'm always on the lookout for good and interesting questions. This book is chock a block full of them. Marcus Berkman wrote the excellent "Brain Men" so I expected a lot, and I wasn't disappointed. What makes this book so different and so much better than most of the other quiz books out there is that this has not been put together by a `professional' question setter who is more interested in quantity rather than quality. All of the quizzes in this book were written by regular players in the popular quiz in the Prince of Wales pub quiz in Highgate in London. As a result, every different quiz in this book is lovingly crafted to appeal to an audience, and there really is something here for everyone, from complete novices, to Mastermind winners. Each quiz is leavened with the sort of questions which will either raise a laugh, or cause you to murmur - I never would have thought that -, and what's more, the questions seem to have been thoroughly checked as well - I couldn't find a single error in the whole thing. Either for setting quizzes, or just for you own enjoyment, this is a worthy addition to any quizzer's library.
on 18 November 2010
It's hard to pick a quiz book when there are so many cheap ones out there and you can't look at the questions before you buy. This is easily the best one I've seen. The questions are relatively hard, but even the really obscure ones turn out to be interesting, especially when the answers are accompanied by amusing notes giving extra detail (and sometimes anecdotes about disputes in the pub when the questions came up in their regular quiz).

If, like me, you miss the days when Trivial Pursuit was good, and can't understand why they haven't produced a proper set with proper questions in about 30 years, get this book instead and you'll find balance will be restored to the universe.
on 5 January 2009
This is simply the best quiz book that I have been fortunate enough to lay my hands on. The format of sets of questions being set by different individuals or teams works perfectly as it avoids repetition( inverting questions and hoping that you won't notice) and laziness ( Shipping forecast areas, car registrations etc). Each set also has its own feel and a great deal of thought has obviously been put into all of them.
I just hope that a volume II of the same quality is imminent.
Excellent and highly recommended
on 15 April 2015
This is one of the best quiz books I have ever read. The questions are varied, interesting and absolutely rock-hard. My friends and I are keen quizzers and it kept us entertained for ages when stuck in a traffic jam.

One of the great things about the book is it had a number of questions that you could work out the answer to from associated knowledge, because of the way the questions were phrased. The fact that the quizzes within it were written by a number of different people also changed the tone and type of questions, which is always good. (I also enjoyed the little bios of the writers and the info on how they came up with the questions).

I wouldn't give this book to a newby to the quizzing world but if you feel bored of your local pub quiz and fancy a bit of a challenge, read this and then weep that you cannot attend regular events at the Prince of Wales!