Customer reviews

Diana (Hodder Great Reads)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 January 2016
Twenty years ago I read this book and didn't know whose world I lived in, Diana's more than mine.
This year I thought I would go back and read again about the tumultuous love life of Diana and Jan and see if it stood the test of time.
I readily identified with our hero, refreshed the events and was lost again in the magic of Sennacharib. A hundred pages from the end I suspended reading... not because I was bored but because I really didn't want to lose these two intense people ...despite knowing, this time around, the end. R. F. Delderfield is a master of description and suspense and Englishness. Read all his books and disappear into other lives.
on 2 November 2017
A well-thought out contrast between the rich lady and the poorer boy as the writer traces their story through years of war and depression there are some surprising turns.

When I first read the book 25 years ago, I didn't like Diana but reading it again recently, I've come to respect her for many reasons. John's character whilst developing outwardly seemed to change little inwardly. The writer skilfully used their mistakes to drive the plot along really well. They both made a powerful impact on me as the reader.

I've given the book a four star rating because I felt it was a little bit too long.
on 6 May 2017
suspend your disbelief, to enjoy a reverse cinderella story, with drama, joy, sadness, humour, misunderstandings, and love...great settings, dubious characters, evil skulduggery, great sacrifices, devoted love and charming, brief episodes...too melodramatic? well, i thought so...but a good airport read...
on 12 June 2013
I watched this when the BBC made it into a ten part series in the 1980s and cried my way through it right to the end. For years I tried to get hold of copies of this series and finally someone came up with what they had saved on video and turned into a DVD, so was able to watch it again. This prompted me to get an ecopy of the book as well as a paper back which is so dog eared from being read countless times. Especially love the part that covers the Second World War exploits.
on 20 May 2017
I thought shen i ztarted this book that it was very light in real matter. When i finished reading it, i realized that it had a very real heart. Go into the characters a bit .they will come out of their insulated cubby holes.
on 15 June 2013
I as many others had tried in vain to obtain a DVD series copy of the seventies TV series, I hadn't seen the written work in the local library but finding it offered on line I opted to purchase copy and thoroughly enjoyed the read of this substantial sized book of which I would needless to say I highly recommend.
on 21 April 2014
I enjoyed reading Diana. This is set in an era that is long lost but by an author who lived in the period. It is a bit dated and at times the passages are too long winded. But a lot happens and it does keep you interested.
on 11 January 2014
This is a very well written and emotional story which you will find difficult to put down and like me will want to pick and read again from time to time.
on 19 July 2017
on 12 January 2014
If you Love romance, war, class struggle and history, YOU¨LL love this book. Well writen and interesting to boot, worth the money.