on 9 May 2012
Having enjoyed Death and the Devil so much, I was eagerly looking forward to The Swarm, so much so that I had pre-ordered the English translation.

Perhaps The Epic would have been a better title - this was a really long book, and whilst that would always be my preference as I enjoy something deep to get my teeth into, sadly in this case it was so long because the author had been allowed to throw in all the research he had done in preparation for the novel. There are many places in the book where it is clear that Frank has done extensive research about a particular topic that is relevant to the story, but he then goes and spoils it all by basically regurgitating ALL his research over the next n pages and you get bogged down in incidental detail that doesn't help the story move along.

First though, I should say that I really enjoyed the premise of the book. I do like well written and intelligent sci-fi and whilst you wouldn't describe The Swarm as a sci-fi book, it touches on some topics regarding intelligence beyond ourselves that were really thought provoking.

At 500 pages I suspect this could have been brilliant - albeit with a stronger ending. At nearly double that I'm afraid it was a huge let down. The one saving grace is that if you are a quick reader like me, you'll soon get adept at skipping over whole swaths of prose when it's about characters you don't care about or research that you've read enough of now thanks.
One person found this helpful
on 8 February 2015
I read this novel last year. It's a long read, but a very enjoyable one with some great characters. Very technical in places, but a fantastic read that i had trouble putting down. It's very much a sort of a mix between the movies THE ABYSS and THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN with a little bit of JAWS action thrown in. I can't imagine them making a film of it, but if they did and enough money was spent on the production it would be stupendous.
on 15 March 2014
This is a well researched, interesting, smart book. Yes it is about 100 pages too long, but I am more than glad that I read it. The subject is really interesting and got me thinking about the environment and ocean in a way that I rarely thought about. If you want a different type of read then go for this.

Tony, Hackney, London
on 14 December 2017
Excellent
on 7 May 2015
Present for wife. It took her a while to finish it cause it is big. But she loved it and she is an environmental scientist so for fiction movie has some very established scientific aspects that make it (very) convincing.
on 11 March 2018
Sadly, this is a true reflection of how selfish and destructive humans have become. Some of this scenario could well become a reality before we wake up to a permanently damaged planet Earth.
on 15 May 2012
The title doesn't call your attention, but this is one of the greatest books I have ever read. Pageturner, breathtaking. Just amazing. I recommend it to everybody. It is a huge book, but I just devoured it!!!
My question is: how come there is no movie yet???
on 4 July 2014
I really enjoyed reading it! Good story! well explained and a book that everyone should to his/her library! Really good!!!!!
on 2 December 2013
Read this book after a friend recommended it. Starts great with an original plot (Initially) and really caught my attention. However, as it progresses it gets more and more typical with every page and finally ends up a run-of-the-mill novel. Very disappointing!
One person found this helpful
on 13 April 2016
A fascinating and thought provoking read. I didn't understand much of the biology but it certainly made me think about it. Ace 👍