The follow up to the author's first novel and it's just as good. Comparison to the Scarrow novels is easy and slightly lazy, but I am going to do it anyway. I think these are better, with the perfect combination of banter, comradeship and professionalism in the Roman ranks along with the expected bad guys and treachery. But it is delivered well and this is entertaining, easy reading and the pages certainly whizzed by!

Here our lead character Marcus (still in hiding from the Emperor) is given a bunch of Syrian archers to turn into foot soldiers before their inexperience gets them (and their Roman colleagues) slaughtered. A lot of modern thrillers and action novels paint some from the Middle East as potential bad guys, here the author presents the Syrian as cultured, noble and skilled and that made a refreshing change I have to say. So we have Marcus, the Legions (along with their new archers) fighting the barbarians (mainly us - the British!) on and about Hadrian's Wall.

Great stuff and recommended.
on 3 May 2010
After a very good first outing of Marcus Valeruis Aquila,one wonders if the second will live up to the first adventure,i can happily report that it does.Marcus or should i say Centurion Corvus of the 1st Tungrian cohort is still on the Northern frontier,but this time i feel that our story is more about brothers in arm`s,as we find out more about the relationship between Marcus,Ruffius,Dubnus and Juluis,as they train the Syrian Archers to adapt to the rigour`s of Legion life.We also have the intrigue of the double dealing of the Briton`s as Calgus set`s up Martos in his quest for another victory over the Romans.All this gives us the ingredients of a novel that takes us into the hart of the battle,standing toe to toe in the sheild wall.Anthony Riches joins the growing ranks of Simon Scarrow,Harry Sidebottom,Douglas Jackson,Ben Kane and John Stack, along with meny more who take us for a walk with the Roman Legions.Much more of Marcus and the 1st Tungrian please.
on 4 October 2011
Second book in the trilogy. This book gives a taste of what it must have been like for Roman legionaries posted to the northern border of the Empire along the forts of Hadrian's Wall during the latter half of the second century AD. The harsh life of a soldier with the ever present threat of brutal hand to hand fighting with the local tribes is expressed. The only thing I found as bit off putting was some of the trivial dialogue between the characters with the use of modern day language and expressions although no doubt, they probably spoke like that during the second century only in latin. I would have also prefered words like "Primus Pilus" instead of First Spear. The combat was powerful writing though and gave a taste of the sheer terror of fighting for one's life against a six foot Brigante tribesman wealding an axe.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 June 2011
I stumbled across Anthony's first book last year and being a fan of various series like Simon Scarrows eagle's books, Christian Cameron Tyrant series and Conn Igguldens Genghis Series, my first thought was "excellent, another series to read" . Im a fast reader and always after something new.

BUT...would it be any good?

I didn't need to worry book one Wounds of Honour and this sequel Arrows of Fury are excellent, a true example of how this genre should be written, full of action, pace, drama and twists. Couple that with brilliant characters that literally leap off the page, and you have books that you cannot put down.

I devoured book two in a single sitting and then went back and re-read it and enjoyed it more the second time, the true mark of a great book and writer is the ability to re-read their work and still enjoy it to find new parts to appreciate with every read.

I would recommend this book to anyone, you don't have to be a fan of historical fiction, you could be a fan of any Genre and still enjoy this book, its that good.

Book three cannot come soon enough for me.....So crack on Anthony!!
{Parm}
on 3 May 2010
I came across the first book of this series by accident and found it unputdownable, having reread it several times with equal enjoyment I looked forward to the second one and was not disappointed. When do we get no. 3?
on 15 May 2011
The story of Marcus continues at a very 'fast gallop' as the war with the northern tribes continues (led by Calgus)along Hadrians wall. He falls in love with the wife of a sister cohorts prefect as well as finding himself in charge of a century of Hamian archers from Syria.

The way this book follows on from "Wounds of Honour" is excellent with the story becoming more involved. A story of war, love and companionship in often grim situations. The battle story line is very well done, you can picture the scenes as the text is so explicit. I am now going to read the next book "Fortress of Spears" ASAP.

The author, Anthony Riches really knows his stuff.
on 3 October 2011
Lets get straight to the point I love this series. (Arrows of Fury is book 2 in the series I got into roman history with Conn Igguldens Caesar series and then carried on with Simon Scarrow's superb Eagle series but Anthony Riches books are as good if not better.

The characters are well developed I really like how there are plots and sub plots in each book, it's very clever of the author to have 1 plot line running through all the books then back that up with the separate plot lines of each novel. These books deserve to be more widely read.

Definitely my favorite series of the year.

Buy them , you won't regret it.
on 20 June 2010
Having been a fan of Bernard Cornwell, Scarrow's Eagle books, Iggledon's Genghis series, (and more recently) Kane's Forgotten Legion books and Sidebottom's Warrior of Rome books, I was delighted to come across Anthony Riches whilst wandering around in a bookshop, quite by chance. His first, "Wounds of Honour", was a real page turner, and "Arrows of Fury" (the second in the series) does not disappoint. There is character development in this book betweeen Marcus, Ruffius, Dubnus and Juluis, and one feels real comradery between the four men and their quest to train the Syrian archers.
Perhaps my one point of criticism would be the over use of violence for the sake of violence. A lot of it seemed to be needless and often it did not add to the story line. I understand that Riches spent many years writing his first book and found writing the second one more difficult - certainly he has done a good job with it and I am really looking forward to reading the third one. Scarrow's books have become tired and his series could have perhaps been sewn up a while ago; Sidebottom's second "Warrior Of Rome: King of Kings" was was no match for the first "Warrior Of Rome: Fire In The East"; and Kane's "Silver Eagle" showed massive improvement in storyline, character development, and writing ability from "The Forgotten Legion". I would put Riches and Kane on a par in terms of readability and ability to create a page turner. Both have a final book to bring out and I will buy both and enjoy my comparisons between these new authors!
on 9 July 2011
If an author's second book is at least as successful as his first, which Anthony Riches executed so well, it bears emphasis that he has some very special quality and appeal to attract an audience. Just like in a good sprint relay, "Arrows of Fury" conveys the duty as second to take the batten in a beautiful interchange from "Wounds of Honour", making the "Empire" series one seemingly fluid, continuous story full of excitement and wonder, from the beginning to wherever it ends.
The way Anthony intertwines historical fact with exciting plot is second to none. It comes so naturally to him, and he is not afraid to peel away the layers of pretence and expose raw facts as a result. Besides those qualities, there is also in "Arrows of Fury" a great deal of humour, intense research (and believe you me he knows what he's talking about), and not least, coming straight to the point.
I was particularly intrigued by the bit where a dawn raid on a Votadini fort by the Tungrians and Hamians was under way. In doing so, the attackers were not to make a sound for fear it would betray their presence. While reading that bit I had something stuck in my throat, and I didn't dare cough! That's how absorbing this novel was, no exaggeration! Only when I coughed did I come back to earth and realise where I actually was!
It also made sense when the attackers rounded the fort to the west of it, specially to silhouette the tribal fort against a brightening eastern sky, so it was easier for them to see where they were firing their arrows. I can't help but gel so well with Anthony's novels, and until I read them, I didn't think it was that possible to turn fiction into reality that easily. Anthony did that, and that's why I give him full marks. Well done.
on 8 February 2011
I really enjoyed this book and its predecessor. There have been a lot of these 'Roman grunt' style series and novels coming out in the last decade, but somehow this, together with the excellent 'Warrior of Rome' series, seems to stand out. While of course there are the unavoidable common threads going through all these series this has its own enjoyable style and story. Recommended.