Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2000
My kids (one and two) love this book. It is a simple story about a magic balloon, and it has lots of colour and magic and (important as far as my kids are concerned) fold out bits. Not too long for limited attention spans, it really hits the spot. This is definitely one of their top five books.
on 24 April 2012
Helen: [...]

This is the current favourite bed time story in our house for both my 2 yr old and my 4 yr old. It makes sharing a bedtime story so much easier when you stumble across books they both adore!

Lots of children love balloons and this definitely appeals to that fascination. The story is simple, a boy finds a balloon and it turns out to be an extraordinary, indestructible and very thrilling. This balloon can change shape, size, colour and even better, it doesn't pop. It will even fly you to the moon.

This is all made more exciting by the different bits to pull or open out in the pictures. The enormous balloon has a page that opens out 4 times the size of the others. When the balloon is stretched a part of the page 'stretches' too, and so it goes on.

Verdict: The girls love the story and the pictures. It is a great book.

And for anyone interested in useless bits of information; this is also the story in which Kipper (the dog) makes his first appearance before going on to have his own series of books
on 25 November 2015
I was very dissapointed with this book. It was torn badly but had been rated good. I would not have bought it had I known its condition. We tell children not to damage books so how can I give one so badly damaged? The CD is great however
on 9 April 2014
my daughter loves this Kipper book, I gave this book 5 stars as she has hours of enjoyment out of it, its different from other Kipper books as it has a little boy in it and none of the other books do. pity other Kipper books don't have this little boy in, I thought this book was excellent and well worth the money.
on 31 December 2013
We love this book. There was a copy in a coffee shop and my son and I liked it so much we ordered our own copy. Great pull out pages to exaggerate the story elements. Highly recommend for 18+ months (until 3-4 years perhaps?). Suit boys and girls alike. If you like the sound of this, I also recommend "Peter's Pebbles" for 2+ year olds.
on 10 July 2014
Our children are now teenagers but this book was much loved by them both when they were little. So much so, my daughter chose it for a little one we know, in the hope that he will come to love it as much as she did. The illustrations are so appealing and colourful and although the books is quite a large square is a wonderful read with an adult especially with the surprise pull out pages at the end. A lovely story and is a firm family favourite with us!
on 30 March 2014
Brilliant book that both of my children have enjoyed for years. we are on our second copy. It is silly and fun, the language is easy for emerging readers and an easy story for all. Be careful with younger readers (under 3) who will love the story abut can rip all the pages and flaps quite easily.
on 18 December 2011
I used to be a library assistant before taking early retirement, once a week we had a storytelling session at my library with various assistants taking it in turn to read a selection of books to the children. The Blue Balloon was my favourite to read to them. The text is simple and the pictures are a pure joy. The story offers plenty of opportunity to 'ham it up' and dramatise for a young audience. I have purchased this to read to my very young grandson, he's to young to appreciate it just yet but I hope in time it grows to become his favourite bed time story.
on 8 April 2015
Bought this as a gift for my daughter's 2nd birthday but ended up saving it until she was 3 as (didn't read up properly first!) the big fold out pages needed a little more care and patience than she had when she was 2! She loves it now - "how about reading the Blue Balloon" she asks frequently!
on 24 June 2013
My son adores balloons. When I first read this book I couldn't believe how perfect it was and I'm sure the author wrote it for my son! It covers every aspect of balloons perfectly for little minds and my boy recites parts of the book to me. This is MUST for all small children. I wonderful book.