Customer reviews

on 13 November 2014
I was unhappy with a couple of other grammar books that I bought so I decided to take a risk with this one. I was very pleased to find out that it is an excellent analysis of the language. I am glad it has a proper pronunciation guide at the front. I'm not sure what a beginner would think of this as it may be too heavy for them but would still be beneficial.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants accurate and detailed information. I think you need this if you want to master the language.
on 26 May 2017
I have been studying Italian for many years and bought this when another student told me it was his 'bible'! It so happened that I already had this book on my bookshelf, so didn't need a 2nd copy, so returned it. It is an excellent, comprehensive, language aid.
on 13 December 2008
This is one of the best Italian Grammar books I have ever bought. It goes into great detail on every aspect of grammar and sentence construction. One reviewer has remarked that some of the examples are over formal - a justifiable comment, but the inclusion of such examples has it place since much written Italian IS very formal in style and one needs to be prepared for this.
This isn't a book to be read through as a course in learning Italian - it is, as its title states, a reference grammar. If you're ever stuck for knowing whether to use 'avere' or 'essere' in a compound tense, this book will tell you all that you're ever likely to want to know.
Thoroughly recommended!
on 27 November 2010
This book is very comprehensive and gives some good examples to explain the point. However, I would say that you need a good understanding of English grammatical terms to make best use of this book. I think it is useful for people doing A level and above but possibly too advanced for users not at this standard
on 15 January 2017
My basic “bible” for teaching myself Italian at home has been (and continues to be) “Living Italian” by Maria Valgimigli and Derek Aust. It is a book that I would strongly recommend for anyone starting out on Italian.

But if you want to take your Italian up to a higher level, then this reference grammar by Maiden and Robustelli is an extremely useful tool.

It is a book to be dipped into, rather than one to work through cover to cover. For example, I have just been learning how the traditional Tuscan usage of “si” as “we” has spread into wider use, especially in the spoken language. So we get: “Si viene anche noi!” for “We’re coming too!”

The large number of useful examples of usage for each grammatical point is the best feature of the book.

The last two chapters are particularly useful. They cover formal and informal discourse and forms of address, and in more detail than I have seen elsewhere. So we learn that it would NOT be acceptable to say, “Ciao signora, si accomodi.” (Because the “ciao” is informal, while the rest is formal.)

And how about this as an example (not recommended!) of informal discourse? “Stai zitto o ti spacco il muso.” (“Shut up or I’ll smash your face in.”)

Phil Webster.
on 25 May 2011
A Reference GRAMMAR OF MODERN ITALIAN combines ease of use with a comprehensive guide to Italian grammar. The most user-friendly aspect is that there are many different ways to find exactly what you need: the index and chapter headings are very clear. I also like the way that unnecessary detail is left out and you are given complete coverage and clarity without repeating basically the same information. All in all, this is probably the most useful Italian language book I have used. It is an excellent detailed reference guide of modern Italian
on 18 October 2010
This is an excellent book. Like some of the other reviewers I am teaching myself Italian and much of the time, whether reading Italian literature or doing grammar exercises or even when visiting Italy, it is as if I am in a bit of a fog. This book brings clarity. It is well-written and reliable, it cuts no corners and it gives one confidence even when dealing with the most subtle nuances of the language. For me the examples taken from real language sources are an especially good feature, they bring the process to life and are a major part of the surprising excitement of working with it.

I bought this grammar because previous reviewers had mentioned the worth of the companion Practising Italian Grammar volume of exercises and I agree that that too is very good.

In conclusion I can only add my own expression of immense gratitude to all whose work has gone into this item.
on 9 December 2008
This book is certainly very good when it comes how much grammar of the Italian language it expands over. But it is very confusing at times. The sentences are overly formal which is one of the main reason I find this book confusing and hard to understand. But I give it four stars. I wanted to give it three but then again it doesn't a three. I love languages. I usually learn them on my own instead of taking classes because I think the tempo is slow. I recommend you have a basic understanding of grammar if you are wanting to buy this book or else I would think it would be very hard and it's not for beginners.
on 18 August 2002
As a self-taught student of Italian, I have bought many grammar books on this subject, but none even come close to the clarity and accessibility of this book.
Every challenging aspect of grammar is clearly explained, with a wealth of examples. The content is simply unrivalled by any other publication.
All of my other books are simply gathering dust on the shelves. I attributed my slow comprehension to slow learning ability, but it was only when I bought this book that I realised how poorly and ambiguously other publications fare compared to this book.
Don't waste your money on other Italian grammar books when you can get your hands on this one. It will save you a lot of time and money.
A sincere and very appreciative thanks to the authors of this astounding book. As far as learning Italian goes, this is my Bible! Mille grazie.
0Comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2010
This grammar gives a thorough grounding in all aspects of the Italian language in a most helpful way. Well worth every word, it makes available a depth of knowledge that is otherwise difficult to find and is indispensible for a serious student.