Customer reviews

2,250
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 2017
One might expect from the description of the book that it would be a romantic tale of how two people meet each other at university and go on to spend the rest of their lives together through chance occurrences on the day they met each year after. It ends up being a "Romeo and Juliet" meets "When Harry Met Sally" mashup. It has your Vladimir Propp fairy-tale appeal to it, but one in which the princess is always looking for her Prince Charming, when no matter who the hero in her life is, she avoids the truth that it is the same person she met at university. If this story were told today, the "princess" would probably be using Tinder and Facebook Messenger to meet and chat to many other men in hope they are the "hero" in waiting, while the only person she feels she wants to be with is playing Grand Theft Auto in the other room, remote from her except on special occasions, when he is the "hero" for a day. The tragedy element to the story will probably appeal to those looking for a modern day easy-to-read Shakespeare-esque text, and to anyone who has loved someone without making the most of the time they were together, then the book might move you to tears.
on 30 December 2016
Although this book is normally highly rated I found it very hard to get into and gave up before I got half way through. I would recommend just watching the film although I wasn't majorly impressed with that either! The book itself was in good condition.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 September 2015
One Day really never really captivated me. It's been some years since I read it, but I still remember that I felt a bit let down by the book. Perhaps it's because I seldom read romance books, or perhaps it's because it just didn't work for me. It feels like on of those popular books thats EVERYONE is suppose to love and I don't. It was an OK read, nothing more, nothing less...
on 30 January 2011
I bought this book based on the amazing reviews for it and the fact I fancied trying a different type of rom com novel.

It's a good read and is well written. Focussing around one day a year to tell the story keeps it fast paced and prevents it from becoming too much like one of those family sagas my mother always used to read. However, it is a predictable (maybe there just aren't that many ways of telling a 'boy meets girl' story any more) and that the writer ran out of a bit of steam at the end. The twist is not that twisty and quite honestly he could have more or less edited the last 30 or so pages out and it wouldn't have had a big impact on the tale.

It's a good book and a great holiday read; just not as great as the hype left me to believe.
on 21 May 2016
A tale of romance, with all the raw hurty and regretful bits that nobody prepares you for as you head to university and dream about meeting your one and only. I really enjoyed this story, where the characters are revisited year on year as their relationship evolves and dissolves and resolves....
on 15 October 2016
I can't really write a full review as it would give the plot away but suffice to say Dexter was proved a shallow self centred idiot to the end...he doesn't let the grass grow under his feet when it comes to women. Loved Emma my eye!!!
on 19 March 2016
I thought this was a story about pathetic, self obsessed, immature characters and probably best suited to a teenage audience not as a novel for adults but then I think this is true of many of the books which are currently being published.
on 6 December 2016
Really annoying male character. Liked the woman. Didn't like the ending.
on 4 March 2017
Great to read again. Beautifully crafted and unlike anything I've read previously. Heart reading story of missed opportunities. A must.
on 3 October 2011
Well what can I say? I have never read anything by David Nicholls but I will now find every book he has ever written and rear them all cover to cover...I have really enjoyed this book, it is well written, easy to follow and heart warming, and hard to put down at times, if you like chick flicks you will love this book! Only 3 pages left and I am already dreading it being over! Highly recommended read.