on 1 September 2017
A great book for anyone interested in the finer points of the English language. It's updated from the first edition to bring things a little more up to date but even without that it would be a great addition to anyone's bookshelf. If you are interested in the English Language, this is the place to confirm what you already knew, dispel a few misconceptions and to learn a lot of what you didn't know. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 30 April 2017
Very good for children at a good price
on 4 September 2009
I bought this book for my granddaughter and she thinks that both the books are great. They have a lot of different sections in them to do with things she is learning at school and finds them a great help. I used the same title book when I was at school in the late 1960's and they are as much use now as I found them to be.

Smashing idea and will never be outdated for English lessons etc.
on 18 January 2013
I have never written a review on Amazon before but this book is an amazing find. My 10 year old's tutor recommended it for a good grounding in English in preparation for grammar school tests but this can be used for so much more. Really useful sections for discussions with my fifteen year old and thirteen year olds already at grammars. Great book!
on 31 July 2017
Such fund - I gave it to my Spanish boss to improve his English - he was most appreciative.
on 13 March 2017
i am happy
on 16 March 2017
Perfect! Thanks
on 7 August 2017
I love this book good for studying English.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2012
My daughters tutor recommended this book for help with 11 plus preparation. I would also recommend for anyone doing an adult literacy course entry to level 3.

For 11 plus I liked the spelling lists which we can go through both spelling and understanding of the word. It was surprising to me when I realised she hadnt come across some of the words before and I was glad that we had been able to identify these gaps in vocabulary.

For adult literacy at first it seems too easy but when you try the exercises you soon realise that mistakes can be easily made when you think you 'know it all' already.

Contains 188 pages including;

Parts of speech (nouns verbs etc)
Gender and plural ( husband/ wife - husbands/wives etc)
Group names ( gaggle of geese - herd of cattle)
General knowledge ( Two creatures that see well in the dark - What is the front of a ship called)
Association ( underline two words that are associated with boot; sleeve heel handle sole paper)

The above are just some examples of the content, the actual book contains much much more and has been a great assett. Packed full with explanations, lists, exercises and tests.

I didnt realise it didnt contain the answers, however it does prevent your child 'cheating'.
on 18 September 2015
Poor quality should not be sold like that