on 5 January 2005
This is certainly one of the most gorgeously illustrated children's books I have ever read. Not only is it marvellous to look at, but the story is hilarious. My daughter, at 3 years-old, is a little too young for it (it was a Christmas present from her Godfather - a like-minded individual to myself), but I'm certain that when she is old enough to appreciate it, she will cherish it dearly.
The illustrations have a real quirky, retro feel to them - with lots of beautiful, intricate detail - and there are many creative and innovative styles of presentation (gatefolds, sentences wandering creatively around the page etc.). The narrative is extremely witty - it works on many different levels, which will be appreciated by a very wide range of different ages: perfect for the attentive audience tucked up in bed, as well as the animated narrator perched on the chair.
I adore this book. As will you. Get two copies: one for your child's bookshelf, the other for your own!
on 4 October 2006
Brilliant visual jokes. An incredibly inventive modern fairy tales. 5 to 8 year olds will love it
on 8 December 2014
Great book/story - love it. But really disappointing condition of book. This seems to be really expensive to buy new (£18+), so I risked buying a second hand copy as a gift. Blurb said it was in excellent condition with no damage to pages or cover. Well it wasn't it excellent condition - the seller obviously didn't notice that at the back there is a pull out page which makes a larger page/poster and this was almost completely ripped in half. I don't know how they missed this, as I saw it straight away on a quick flick of the pages. This made it impossible for me to give as a gift, so kept it for my own children. I wouldn't risk buying a used copy again.
on 30 December 2005
This isn't the best book Lauren Child has ever written although the illustrations are wonderful. I found the story line rather dull - super rich family are down on their uppers but still able to play games with genuis wonderkind son. The ultimate critic is my 4 year old daughter who loves the Herb books. She's never asked to be read it again......
on 4 November 2014
I love Lauren Child! My kids have read her princess and the pea and goldilocks. I love the way the pictures are done. I love the style of writing. It is witty and catchy. So I gave this book a try. And I love this too!
It is a story about Hubert Horatio Bartle Bobton - Trent and his best friend and algebra partner Stanton Harcourt the third. They are the two brainiest rich boys on the planet!
It's an amazing story. It's very well written. The style of writing will leave you looking for more books by this author.
on 12 June 2011
it's a delicious story, the children found it very involving, not to mention the illustrations: always colourful and genially mixed. We enjoyed it so much!
on 15 December 2009
purchased this book for 7 year old grandaughter, but was it really for me?!! great book, 80 year old great grandma enjoyed as well!!
on 14 June 2015
Having read other reviews I was expecting somethibg fantastic, but really quite dull. Leave this and buy the storybook wolves instead.
on 31 March 2014
Bought this for my two grandsons aged 7 and 8 years. They loved reading the story and found it very funny. Easy to understand and they have read it more than once. Excellent really for any age group re light reading.
on 31 March 2009
I am now a big fan of Lauren Child, mainly known for the Charlie and Lola characters. After that Pesky Rat, this one is one of my favourites. I can honestly say that I have been reading it every single evening to my 5 year old daugther, so much so that we now know it by heart. It is very funny and quirky. I love it.