Format: Spiral-bound|Change

VINE VOICEon 4 March 2005
This book is very cleverly done. It's so clever it seems terrifically simple. There are a dozen fairy tales, all of which you'd expect a four year old to be familiar with, stripped down to a single longish sentence of four components which can then be mixed an matched in the time-honoured way that's often used to create mixed up animals. For example: the Ugly duckling.. is scratched by a spinning wheel, then falls asleep in baby bears bed after eating... Red Riding Hood's granny. The children love it because they're meddling with and subverting stories they know and it is great fun for the parent too. Also, as the words are fairly simple, a beginning reader can do it themselves and is inspired to keep on doing it. As you'd expect from Nick Sharratt, the illustrations are straightforward and appealing. You just can't go wrong! If you like this, look out too for 'You Choose' which is another great Sharrat classic which is also an inspiring fun book for this age group.
11 comment| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2006
A fantastic book that takes well know fairy tales and allows you to mix them up. It has kept my kids, (a boy aged 5 and a girl aged 9) amused for hours - not to mention their parents. It is an excellent book for encouraging beginner or reluctant readers as it allows them to choose what they want to read, and then delivers it in short phases, with good picture clues. An example.. Jack...grew and grew to the size of a house...and dreamt about marrying...Little Red Riding Hood's Granny. I will be buying a stack of these books as they will make excellent birthday presents!
on 8 January 2010
I bought this for my 4 year old son with the remainder of his christmas money, due to the rave reviews, and also because we're a very "bookie" family. We have a huge collection comprising lots of modern day children's classics; Julia Donaldson, Lauren Child, Nick Sharratt, Andy Stanton, Cressida Cowell, Oliver Jeffers etc.

However, on receiving this book, I was immdediately disappointed with the quality; a hardcover, spiralbound, as mentioned on the description, but the paper inside is very flimsy, and with all of the thin horizontal strips on every page (that enable the reader to mix up the stories) and I can see this wearing out and ripping very quickly, despite having 2 children who take great care with their books. Also, the illustrations aren't as vibrant or great as I'd hoped, and for me (and most importantly, my son) it just isn't that funny. There are a couple of obscure stories in there too, that I don't even know, so I doubt my kids will!

Sorry to be such a killyjoy, and maybe it'll grow on us in time, but I certainly don't view it as worthy of "classic" status - in our family anyway. Thumbs down from us, I'm afraid....
11 comment| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2009
As someone else has said, the concept is simple. Take a few fairy tales summarised in a sentence, with four parts, on a single sheet of paper where each part of the sentence can be turned as a separate page.

Turning over a varying number of pages for each sentence part results in wonderfully silly sentences that my kids have enjoyed since they were 4 and 2, and still do at nearly 7 and 5.

An example to give you the idea is "Cinderella grew and grew to the size of a house and dreamt about marrying a bowl of soup".

This book and You Choose! have given us hours of fun. They are well worth the money!
on 9 November 2009
When I received this book, I thought it was perhaps a little too basic, and like many presents it was put aside for a while. However, when my 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son picked it up recently, they were in hysterics for ages. The pictures are bold and colourful and they love the fact that you can create so many differnt sentences. It is very basic humour, but to hear them laugh like that is great. They shut their eyes, turn over some of the pages and then see what they have created. I think it will help their reading as well - with the large print and few words. It is not a masterpiece, but it is fun.
on 23 May 2008
I can't think of a more wonderful gift for any child. This book has everything - from lovely illustrations to a link to familiar fairytales, great opportunity for humour, creativity .... what more could one want? My daughter has entertained herself and the whole rest of the family endlessly with this book and it's such a pleasure as a parent, too, to be able to sit down and have some fun with fairy tales from a slightly different perspective.
on 7 July 2008
This got my 3 1/2 year old laughing in delight at the silly results of his page choices. He would not let me put it down, and though I had initialy bought it as a present for someone else, i will have to buy another copy. He was thrilled to know which stories the pages came from, and mixing them up brought him great entertainment. A big hit.
on 2 April 2012
I got this as an extra resource as my class are doing a Fairyland/fairytale topic and we've read a range of different fairy tales. The children all enjoy identifying which stories are being used. They love making up the silly fairy tales on their own and then sharing them with the rest of the class which are been met with great hilarity.

The illustrations are great and the different font styles and sizes add to the visual interest.

I plan to get a copy for my niece when she's a little older and knows more fairy tales as the joke is lost if the child doesn't know any of the stories.
on 8 February 2014
My 6yo son loves this. He had a mixed up people book as a toddler (similar to the misfit games you can get), and had asked for another one. However this is much more suitable for a 6yo and so much fun. There are 4 strips on each 'page' and plenty of pages to keep little imaginations and sense of humours happy! Two months after he received it, I am still finding he has been reading it when he wakes up in the morning. We have had no end of giggles the stories created: Cinderella up the beanstalk being chased by the three bears before being turned into something - or thereabouts! This should get much higher acclaim than it does - i stumbled across it completely by accident! The only slight negative would be that the strips inside are quite long and the pages are spiral bound so I am just waiting for the day when one gets accidentally ripped.
on 14 September 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect with this... I didn't read enough reviews to piece together a picture of what it was, so I'll try a brief summary for those (like me) who just look at recent reviews...

The book is spiral bound, with each 'page' being split into 4 'strips' (so each 'page' is actually 4 pieces of paper). Each section has a picture and word (eg. 'Cinderella') or short sentence (eg. 'ended up marrying'), hence you end up with 'mixed up fairy tales' when you change one or more of the 4 sub-sections. I suppose a bit like the old 'Misfits' game, where you'd mix a nurse's head with a sailor's torso and so on.

You end up with very brief precis of a tale, rather than a typical story, so to some extent its more of a game than a bedtime story. There aren't actually that many combinations, especially when children like to match the background colours on the 4 'strips'.

My two year old doesn't really get it, but quite amusing (for a while!) for the adults, could possibly encourage reading, and the 5 year old loves it.