Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 July 2001
This book gives the reader an insight into a lifestyle that most of us would wish never to experience. You feel every step of the way the traumas and dilemmas this man faces and how he yearns to break free. The book is well written, descriptive and keeps you interested to the end. You need to keep going to see the outcome for this man's life and the lives of those around him. Definitely makes you think about your own life!
on 9 April 2016
Only received this today and can't put it down!!! Compelling reading! I met Nicky many years ago and hard to believe the polite, friendly, diminutive gentleman I met is the same person who did all these things and was leader of such a notorious gang. As a Christian I know how good God is and know people change despite their background. I've wanted to read this book for many years and only just got round to doing so. I recently watched the cross and the switchblade and so naturally wanted to read the book behind Nicky's life! For Christians and non- Christians alike this book is well worth a read!! ☺️
on 10 January 2015
I've often heard about Nicky Cruz and decided to read his story. This book pulls no punches when it talks of the things which he was involved in. The conversion to Christ, also talked about, was a huge miracle.

The open and honest story covers the gang years; David Wilkerson's brave approach, then records Nicky's reaction and subsequent conversion.

This reads as an honest account of what Christ can do with a broken heart; changing Nicky into the most compassionate man. It has been a privilege to read his story.
on 31 August 2011
i brought this book this summer while the youth ocross england were rioting!! i didnt buy it because of the rioting but i'd heard that David Wilkinson, the preacher that showed nicky jesus's love had died this year.
As i read this book i was watching the youth on tv acting like mad animal's. Even tho the book is 30+ years old the relivance was heart wrenching.This book gives hope for all generation that Christ still saves.This book should open our eyes to the desparate needs of the youth in this country in this hour
on 4 March 2010
I bought this for my 13 year old son as my old book had fallen apart. He loved it. Excellent timeless book - I read it many years ago.
on 28 May 2009
If you've never read this book then get it. It's an amazing true story. An excellent read from start to finish, you'll find it hard to put down. It is the ideal book to give to people who are interested in the Christian faith. Not only is it a rip along read, but it clearly demonstrates God's love for even the hardest of sinners and reveals God's life transforming gift of salvation through Jesus Christ.
on 4 March 2014
Someone lent me this at college some thirty years ago. Friday lunchtime I began reading…..Midnight, I put it down, more moved than I had ever been. The story of a frightened, abused run away boy who turns to crime, violence and gang warfare. Then one day he meets.... Now he is a reformed character and christian minister.
on 24 November 2012
Amazing story of how God doesn't give up on anyone. The book challenges us to love unconditionally the least lovely people we come in contact with. I read this as a teenager (many years ago now)and it, along with "the cross and the switchblade" had a big impact on me and was one of the main reasons I became a Social Worker.
on 1 November 2013
Second time I have read this inspirational autobiography ,33years ago I read it for the first time and I had never forgotten the book. It's taken me 2days to read it this time around.
,The story of an out of control young man and his journey through life, and his discovering God.Beautifully written a must read
on 8 May 2012
When I started to read this book I just couldn't put it down. I was glued to it. It makes fascinating reading from beginning to end. It is full of adventure, fear, violence and much more. Nicky Cruz's conversion is an absolutely amazing one. It is amazing, encouraging and inspirational. I highly recommend it.