on 9 September 2017
Very very useful. I thought I knew everything about skincare after years of reading magazine articles and browsing beauty products. This really helped me to properly understand my skin. I had never realised that my skin was sensitive. I'd basically spent a lot of time and money focusing on anti-ageing when I should have been focusing on texture and redness.
on 20 May 2007
I bought this book after reading about Leslie Baumann in a number of articles, which praised her approach to skincare, and I am so glad I did!. Basically, she believes there are a lot more more skin types out there (16 in fact!) rather than the basic (and outdated) four: 'oily', 'combination', 'dry' and 'sensitive'.

You answer a detailed questionnaire in the book then read about your skin type (For example mine was oily, sensitive, wrinkled and pigmented), and gain recommendations on products to use, ingredients to avoid and treatments to try.

My skin was in a dreadful state before I bought this book - sensitive, red and spotty(nice!) It turns out I was using the wrong ingredients on my face which was causing the redness and spots (sodium Lauryl sulfate in my cleanser was the worst culprit). Even after 2 weeks of following Dr Baumann's recommendations, I had seen massive improvements in my skin and I am spending considerably less on products (I now buy a £4.00 cleanser from Boots, as opposed to £10 + from the big name beauty counters).

Over a year later, I am still following her tips and am totally happy with my skin - her message is stop wasting money on fancy creams that don't work for you, find the right products for your skin and it will thank you for it!
on 2 December 2015
ok
on 9 June 2008
I bought this book based on the recommendations of the reviews above. I am so happy that I did and would like to thank them, and of course Dr Baumann. This book has really helped calm my skin down and taken much of the guessing out of searching for products. It delivers information on what the needs of skin types are and the products/ingredients to avoid. Highly recommended!
on 8 October 2010
I bought his book on a whim when browsing in a US bookstore and did the questionnaire while on holiday there. I'd read a million magazine articles and thought I understood all about skin types but this was a revelation - the best bit is the ultra-specific advice on what products to buy, which is a godsend when faced with an utterly overwhelming selection even in the tiniest branch of Boots. The key is, of course, that Dr Baumann is not being paid to endorse any products, unlike the magazines.

Before I read this I had skin that was often very itchy and sensitive, and my eyes would look inflamed and age me by about ten years. Within a month of using the products recommended (which were not very expensive and easily available in the UK) it improved immensely and I've stuck to them and never looked back - people always guess my age at about 5 years younger than I actually am. Worth every penny.
on 19 January 2014
A brilliant book. I first heard about it when Caitlin Moran raved about it on a programme. The author has clearly done her research and knows what she is talking about. I found it very informative and highly recommended it.
on 24 February 2011
I think this is a great book. I had previously thought my skin care was very good having cleansed, toned and moisturized since being a teenager but I can see now I have caused some damage to it in more recent years by not understanding exactly what my skin type is. After 40 my skin changed a lot and I thought I might just have to put up with it as a consequence of getting older but using this book I have now completely changed my skin care routine, my skin looks better than it has for years and I also feel equipped with the knowledge now to keep it looking good.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2008
To get the best from and for your skin you need to know which one of Dr Leslie's 16 skin types you are.

There is a questionnaire in chapter 3 but dont skip ahead to that or you'll miss some great info along the way. After taking the test you go to your relevant chapter and find out what you can/cant do and the prodcuts and procedures that will work for you.

This has been the best £ I have spent in connection with my skin. I am a DSNW (which means Dry, Sensitive, Non pigmented and Wrinkled) which was a surprise to me but it makes sense when reading through the description of skin type, this book has both US and UK product information.

I have always had difficult skin and products meant for sensitivie skin didnt always work but now I know why. There are ingredients for each type to avoid and to look to include.

There is literally something in here for everybody. BUY IT!!!!
on 20 July 2006
It is like having your own dermatologist. My skin is the best it has been in years. It gives you the tools to work out what products and ingredients you should be looking for and avoiding.
Highly recommended.
on 6 June 2013
Recommended by Caitlin Moran the feminist writer I bought this book and found that it really is never to late to find one's skin type.