Customer reviews

The Wyndham Case: Imogen Quy Book 1 (Imogen Quy Mystery 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 November 2011
Meet Imogen Quy, College Nurse at St. Agatha's, who finds herself drawn into investigations into the strange death of a student in a locked library. Classic Agatha Christie you might think, although there's more of a nod here to Dorothy Sayers and - with its university background - just a touch of Morse,(a Cambridge backdrop substituting for Oxford's dreaming spires). This is a reasonably diverting mystery, with neatly drawn though not particularly memorable characters and - of course - a picturesque setting. I'm not sure that the ending will take readers totally by surprise; without giving anything away, it is in part quite well signalled early in the book, although I won't pretend I'd worked out all the angles. There is the occasional jarring moment; for example Ms. Quy pays an impulse visit to a completely strange hairdressing salon and just happens to be dealt with by a stylist who is the victim's girlfriend. Mr Dickens might get away with far-fetched co-incidence, lesser writers do not! And being really picky, I would have thought a qualified nurse would not refer to the "St. John's Ambulance Brigade" but would use the correct title "St.John Ambulance Brigade". However, these are minor carps, and if you are looking for a reasonably literate but not over-demanding entertainment to wile away a winter's evening this may well fit the bill.
11 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 November 2014
This was my first Imogen Quy mystery and at first the plot seemed very similar to another novel by Paton Walsh, 'The Late Scholar', in which she pursues the D L Sayers' story of Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane. I had just finished reading the latter and this possibly influenced my opinion of The Wyndham Case because it just seemed like more of the same, however, there are a number of interesting twists and turns. Clearly all of these stories are set in the mythical Cambridge College of St Agatha's and feature the College nurse with a detective's mind. Different and interesting.
One person found this helpful
on 26 June 2017
After neglecting fiction while I did a theology degree, and after a few false starts, it was wonderful to find this novel by Jill Paton Walsh. I think I started midway through the series but it didn't matter. I met some engaging characters along the way, and the plot was the best I have ever read in a detective story.
on 5 April 2016
I found this a bit slow, and full of unpleasant characters (though the central ones were rather sympathetic). Fortunately it didn't put me off the series; I think the later ones are better.
2 people found this helpful
on 7 April 2013
I'd read some of the other Imogen Quy books but never been able to find this one, so was delighted by the Kindle version.
It was good to finally read this and see where some of the references in the later books came from. It's gently intriguing and a restful read, rather than a gripping page-turner.
i guessed the hinge of the plot fairly early on (being a history graduate probably helped) and why the first victim was where he was, along with most of the method, but this didn't stop me enjoying this. i liked the writing style, which I felt matched the book well - something I think Jill Paton Walsh is good at. Her Peter Wimsey continuations show this too, where her style is sympathetic to Dorothy L Sayers but not just an imitation. Not sure I agree with those who call Imogen Quy the "female Morse", unless it's because of the university setting - this is more straight-forward fare.
Give it a go.
One person found this helpful
on 2 May 2015
I like the writing and the Cambridge descriptions, although often a trifle long winded....rather like the unfolding of the mystery. There are two, intertwining, plots really and they develop cleverly. The author has been compared with, and partnered with, D L Sayers, but does not have the same sparkle and razor sharp wit, although this is an annoy able tale.
on 4 September 2016
Disappointing. Although technically well written, I found it difficult to discern when this novel was set. Having read the excellent novels written by the author in the Lord Peter Wimsey series, this was a real let-down. Not a bad book, but not the author's best.
on 26 August 2016
Welcome to a new addition to the ranks of novelty detectives. The plot is good and carries the reader along. The Cambridge background is very authentic and adds to the novel and plot rather than appearing just to supplement the word count.
on 8 March 2015
These books are new to me and I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Rather old-fashioned in that murders in Walsh's books are not gruesome or described in blood-curdling detail. A gentle plot, well-written and with a satisfactory denouement.
on 18 March 2015
This is the first Imogen Quy book by Jill Paton Walsh that I have read. I certainly enjoyed it - I guess it is what is called a cosy mystery: no excessive violence etc. - and I have already ordered more from the same series.