Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 2009
This will echo previous reviews, but it's such a good book I had to write a review myself. Sue explains the psychology of hoarding (see how many features you recognise in yourself!) and how to overcomes these; and includes humourous examples to illustrate her points.

For those of us who are faced with such a challenge that we've no idea where to begin, she gives clear guidance on how to start, suggesting different methods which will suit different personalities. For example, if you don't have much time, set yourself five minute challenges (chuck out all the pens which don't work; go through your sock drawer). Something that is easily forgotten is the need to reward yourself, and inspire yourself not to let it slide. Put a vase of flowers on your now-clear table so every time you see it, you will admire all your hard work!

After reading this book, you will be inspired to leap off the sofa and start decluttering...
on 8 August 2017
Bought two different declutter books. One for my son and one for me.
Both suggested breaking the task in to manageable chunks so that it's not overwhelming. This is the English version (The 10 minute declutter book was American). Both full of common sense but it got me clearing out and it's a good feeling taking stuff to the tip or charity shop
on 7 November 2010
I have been a long-term hoarder having long-term illness hasn't helped me keep on top of it but I thought enough is enough as it is more tiring tryng a clean a cluttered house, I wanted to sort it out. I am doing ok so far but am the type of person who wants it all done now so the book has helped me to focus on small decluttering goals like sorting out my make-up bag and clearing the dining room table to bigger goals which are making the spare room into a gym. I have taken key notes from teh book to help me in my progress and taken photos so I can feel I have achieved something when I see how it was and hopefully I can get to grips with this hoarding once and for all!
on 16 November 2009
My partner laughed his head off at the irony of me buying another book, which he had to move to sit down, and discovering it was called No More Clutter.
But now as the clutter is disappearing he's impressed and so am I. I am five, maybe six, out of the eight types of horder (tut, tut) But this book makes you look at why you do it and gives stratagies to get past it. Ten minute de-clutters have made such a difference.
It's a fantastic book and I couldn't reccommend it enough.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2011
I just love this book.Up till now the book has actually made a difference in my life, I am actually cleaning up my house and have made many new improvements at home. The author just tells me something that I haven't thought of before, how very important it actually is to live in a clutterfree home, in relation to your life as a whole, and how easy it is to start making new clutterfree improvements . For instance she tells you to start with small challenges like "picking up all paper clips in one room" or "go into one room and throw just one thing out".
Actually I think it's quite funny to clean my house at the moment. The author has taught me to see my clutter in a new way and to deal with it in a simple manner.
And she doesn't deal with any Feng shui at all. I Like that a lot, it can be to much with that in other books in my opinion. This book is very down to earth.
on 15 March 2010
I have read lots of books about clutter control. This book is the best of the bunch. Because it's British and not American it's more slanted to a British viewpoint and it doesn't lay emphasis on storage systems like a lot of American books do. It does tell you very clearly, how you can throw things out and keep what you really value. I did what it told me and the difference is amazing. I have a lot more to do but this book tells me how to do it.
on 26 February 2008
This book is excellent and helping people deal with the psychological aspects of throwing things away. Sue Kay has done a degree in psychology, and her excellent ability as a psychologist is evident in this book. She has dealt with all the cliches that hoarders come up with such as 'I'd better keep this it might come in useful', 'I'll keep it because someone else in my family might need it,''I'll keep these clothes as I might loose weight and fit back into them.' (If you want examples of her tips then go to her website and see for yourself). I cannot praise this book highly enough. I think Sue Kay should be given a Nobel Prize, or something to that effect, for her services to people who are overwhelmed by their complusive hoarding.
on 18 October 2009
This book was a revelation, truly inspirational, and to say it can change your life is not an exaggeration. There is so much advice available about clearing clutter but Sue Kay has struck just the right note of encouragement and advice. She sets out a sensible and above all achievable plan of action - but be warned: once you have started you will have a blissfully efficient and organised wardrobe (much to the benefit of the local charity shops) in which you can actually SEE what you have to wear, and lots of space in cupboards and drawers throughout the house, never to be filled again with unnecessary items. The sheer joy of being able to find anything quickly and easily, and in a non-crumpled condition, cannot be bettered. I cannot recommend this book too highly.
on 20 December 2010
I bought this book as a gift for somebody who is definitely challenged in the 'clutter' department. I had a quick flick through it, and it has fabulous little mini de-clutter projects, to gently introduce the concept of getting rid of what you don't need in the immediate term, in order to progress to the state where you simply don't accumulate more stuff that you will never need. It does it under the guise of being less cluttered = being more efficient = more effective time management. It eliminates the 'just in case' syndrome. Great little gift for somebody, and I guarantee they will not be offended by it.
on 2 May 2011
This is a great book, if you have been thinking about de-cluttering your home for ages, and just have never got around to doing it. This book you can read all the way through and then start or you can read a bit and then put those points into action. There are 5 minute challenges and then 'bigger' jobs like the loft and the dreaded paper issue. But read away and take the steps you need to get your home and life in order. I'm about 70% of the way through my home, and I can see and feel the benefits. It also helps to have a mentor, or someone who's doing the same as you, so you can support each other.

As I've said a great book. I've bought it for someone else, so I hope it helps them too.