Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 April 2017
I expected a lot more from this book. I found the advise quite basic and pretty much obvious. There wasn't really anything new in the book that I wasn't aware of, not that I am full on knowledge. Ultimately the book is quite pretty so it now serves more as a decor piece rather than a functional book for me to return to.
on 13 December 2007
I enjoyed this book. It's mostly quite witty, and sometimes very useful - Morton's fashion section is particularly well informed.
However, with each section, the narrative slows down - you can tell what her area of expertise is. It's a nice, lucid read, but there isn't a great deal of substance.
Morton sometimes comes across as being one of those women that conforms to the typical female stereotype (cook, clean, look pretty) - her political stance on which party to support was to choose the colour badge that would match your outfit the most. Despite some wry comments about this type of thing, you have to wonder why she'd write a book on how to be a girl if she didn't want to fall into the stereotype (and similarly, her readers).
Also, style and appearance is CONSTANTLY mentioned - you can't fix a tyre if it means that you'll mess up your hair, etc. This is quite annoying, but that is essentially the book's agenda.
Other than that, the book is very entertaining, and it certainly provides a very sketchy guide to most areas of thought. I'm giving it 4 stars, assuming that the reader had bought the book purely for the wit/amusing guides, such as "How to wear an apron with style".
Just don't buy this book for any of your feminist friends.
on 22 January 2006
I was very disappointed with this book. It has a great title, and the contents page promises a great deal. It is beautifully produced and the illustrations are lovely - I was looking forward to reading it.
The 'information', however, is superficial at best, and incorrect at worst. Any woman who is at least vaguely competent should know at least 80% of what's in this book already.
There's an uncritical acceptance that whatever leads the market must therefore be the best (e.g. in computer software and MP3 players); the information about fitting a bra is just wrong, as even the most basic research would have shown. It tells you that knitting is the bees knees, but doesn't tell you how to do it or any pointers on how to learn apart from 'get someone to show you'. Helpful.
Names are dropped all over the place - Oooh! Look at my famous friends! - which I found irritating. I was also annoyed by comments such as, "Any connoisseur will know that the only real way to travel is by car or taxi. Live the fantasy and sign off taxi reciepts for the obvious reason: 'SF' (Stiletto Fatigue)", and "If your escort is shorter than you in your highest heels dump him immediately. A pair of Manolos lasts a lifetime, and you shouldn't compromise style for love." And so on, ad infinitum. Since when was it stylish to be shallow?
The book is not well written, there are several errors that slipped by the editor, the index is unreliable, and I'm afraid Camilla Morton came over as the kind of shallow, glossy, self-absorbed woman I try to avoid at parties.
11 Comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 November 2005
I didn't really know what to expect from this book...perhaps a guide to fashion, 'not what to wear' style. I was wrong - this book includes advice on absolutely EVERYTHING a glamourous girl needs. Not only what to wear, but how to entertain, how to be a domestic goddess, how to cope with modern technology - even how to drive! Useful stuff... Anyway, I'm certainly taking Morton's advice, I even went to the supermarket yesterday in my high heels. Not yet mowed the lawn in my stilletos, but I'm getting there... This should be a bible for every modern girl out there, absolutely wonderful!
on 23 September 2005
If I had read this book before leaving home and/or going to University- I think I would be in a better place right now! Once I finally stopped flicking though the illustration and different interviews - I literally could not put the book down. I had read Camilla Mortons articals in the hipster U.K/ U.S magazines and loved her style of writing, "High heels" is no exception- even the sections I never thought I would read- came alive with her words.
This book is perfect for holidays, on the way to work, bedtime, walking the dog, lying in the bath- in fact everywhere- highly recommended.
on 22 September 2005
This is the perfect complement to a modern women's life- If I had read this book before university and/or moving out of home-I would be in a much better place right now! I had always enjoyed Camilla Morton's articles in the hipster U.K magazines and so knew that this book would be an enjoyable read- even the subject matters that I would not necessarily have been interested in- came alive with her words. If you are going on holiday, need something to read on the way to work, been dumped by your boyfriend or just need something for bed time! - get this book- it will cheer you up no end...also the illustrations are pretty cool too.
on 22 September 2005
Buy this book for yourself and then get another five copies to give to your closest girlfriends - it's fantastic!
Camilla Morton offers down to earth advice about a whole host of things. Her tone is chatty and friendly - and, thank god, never patronising. It's a book you will keep dipping into and learn something new each time you read it. I can honestly say I haven't been able to put it down. Yesterday, I was reading it during my tube journey home and people read it over my shoulder! Natasha Law's illustrations are excellent too. I really can't recommend this book enough. It's the kind of girlie bible we've all be waiting for.
on 14 March 2006
This is a great book with a mixture of funny anecdotes and serious information, although not all of it ought to be taken seriously. In fact if you don't take the book too seriously you will love it!
on 19 March 2006
Unfortunatly, prior to a mind-numbing train journey to London, I happened to come across this book in 'Smiths and totally fell in love with the cover! I ended up pretty disapointed when I started to read though as, to be honest, it's mainly compiled of shallow fluff. The author doesn't seem to realise that only a small percentage of her target audience are going to be top-to toe in designer gear or would even want to be. I'm more of a h&m girl myself and for this reason, amongst others, I found the book quite patronising and a little pathetic in places. Dispite this though, I did read it from cover-to-cover so it must have been floating my boat for some reason! I suggest then, that if you are to buy this book you use it as a kind-of pretty reference book/display piece in your home, as it can be quite useful (it taught me how to play poker!) and relatively enjoyable to read (and the cover and illustrations are really pretty!). But, if you are after something that will grip-or at least engage you for more than half an hour...I'd recommend you buy another book!
on 2 May 2006
All I can say is girls this is a great book, I asked for this book after hearing some good ratings for it, never in the world did I think that I would enjoy it so much. Ok so not everyone is into or can afford designer labels, me included but it has so much practical advice, even the girls at work are buying it. A sound buy for me and it is my bible, I wouldnt be seen without it.