on 20 September 2017
Just as good as all of the other imaginative novels by this very interesting author. When I used to write things like this when I was young, my teachers gave me failing marks and said I was not 'in touch'. Oh well!
on 21 April 2017
The next best thing to Terry Pratchett as far as I'm concerned. Would highly recommend this series to anyone who enjoys books which challenge the imagination, but with humour too.
on 29 May 2017
Can't put it down. Like all jaspers books!
Highly recommended
on 15 December 2013
if u like the author u will really enjoy this book and im sure u read it again its a good read
VINE VOICEon 18 August 2007
If you haven't read any Japser Fforde before, go and buy the Eyre Affair, and work through the series. If you have read the earlier Thursday Next novels and are wondering whether to buy this one, it really is a no-brainer. All the usual Fforde touches are present, intricate plot, laugh out loud one liners, underlying erudition, engaging characters. One may worry that five novels in, Fforde could get tired or formulaic, but to my mind, he avoids both such traps admirably. My one gripe is that the political satire is a touch heavy handed, but that is a minor concern. Definitely recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 September 2014
This is the latest book I have read in the continuing saga of Thursday Next. If you have not read any of the previous books then may I suggest that you begin with "The Eyre Affair" and progress through the series to this one.
In this book we have moved forward many years. Thursday & Landen have three children now; Friday whom we last met as a two year old, Tuesday and Jenny. Thursday is concerned that Friday is a layabout teenager and not turning into the director of the Chronoguard as predicted. The Goliath Corporation is back and someone is trying to steal Pickwick the Dodo.
Jasper Fforde has managed something that many authors fail to do. He has produced a series of books which continue at the same high standard as the first book. Some of them are funnier than others but the quality of writing does not diminish.
All the old characters have returned in this book - Polly and Mycroft (despite his unfortunate death), Landen and Friday, Commander Bradshaw, Spike.......they are all there. There are also a few extra characters which cause much confusion but I will leave you to discover their identities.
There are places in this book where I laughed out loud. I don't often do this books, it tends to be more of an amused smile or a stiffled giggle. This book, however had some real laugh out loud moments which I really enjoyed.
This is another book of continuing high standard in this rather odd, but definitely amusing, fantasy book. I can heartily recommend that you get stuck into the series & hope that you enjoy them as much as I have.
on 17 July 2007
Jasper Fforde is rapidly becoming the true heir to Douglas Adams: DNA was essentially a sketch writer, and could write sparkling little skits based round ideas, but had trouble stringing them together in a coherent story. Fforde is similarly ideas-driven, and will bend his plots to accomodate them, but he is much better at plotting than DNA ever was. Readers of TN 1- 4 will find TN 5 absolutely stuffed with ideas, many of them mind-bendingly brilliant, hung on a pretty nifty plot; the characterisation suffers a little as a consequence, but, hey, nobody's perfect. In short, it's business as usual in Thursdayverse, complete with some very funny jokes, a rare crop of vile puns, a whole shedload of literary and other references, and the usual ration of spelling mistakes (Jasper cannot spell for toffee, and while the proof-readers catch most of them, the homonyms get through every time). He's never likely to be accused of literature; but it's fun, and funny, and snaps and crackles with more energy than fifty other books. 4/5 stars; buy it.

One serious note: Aornis' revenge on Thursday is seriously creepy and disturbing. That's how you portray evil. Maybe he can write a bit, after all ... :-)
on 10 April 2017
Maybe I'm missing something but i didn't find it funny. I've read the previous book and while I enjoyed them none have made me raise a smile. The story's are slightly silly but not funny i can see potential for humour, but fforde seems to miss each opportunity. I like the next character and the absurd notions of recreating lost species, time travel and toast marketing. I'm sure i will enjoy books 6 &7 maybe they will make me laugh maybe i just need to cut my Prozac to 30mg..
"First Among Sequels" is brilliant. I may as well mention that first.

It's a chaotic book. Other reviewers have said that the lack of a main 'villain' is disappointing, I think the opposite- Fforde juggles various plots at the same time and the result is a sort-of murder mystery where any one of several different characters, in different worlds, could be the key. Among the various plot threads are some ideas of pure genius- for example the time-travelling authority the ChronoGuard who have been happily travelling through time on the assumption that time travel would eventually be invented in order to allow them to do it, but who have now reached 23 minutes before the end of the universe only to find that time travel hasn't been invented after all so they're not sure what they're going to do about it. Fforde refers back to ideas from each of the first four books and brings new things in at the same time. These books are heading toward bursting point.

With the ongoing Thursday Next series I'd say that you should definitely start at the beginning ("The Eyre Affair"), partly because you might find "First Among Sequels" very confusing otherwise, but also because reading this book will spoil your reading of the previous books, as , unlike something like the Discworld series, you'll know who's survived and who hasn't.

The fact Fforde is now five books into the series allows him to become introspective, and weave his own books and fictional versions of his own fictional characters (fictional squared?) into the narrative. When I first read that I was worried that this book would be in danger of heading, um, up it's own bottom. Thankfully it manages to avoid that and Fforde weaves "First Among Sequels" into the original "The Eyre Affair" in a way that enriches things rather than messing them up. I was reminded of "Back To The Future II", which in my eyes is a good thing.
VINE VOICEon 1 December 2007
The first four Thursday Next novels were contained within a story arc that ended with the fourth novel. First Among Sequels attempts to get things going again, and it does pretty well to begin with. Swindon's more exotic branches of law enforcement are officially defunct, but actually continue behind the facade of a carpet superstore. The new reality takes some time to set up, and it's a while before there's any real direction to the narrative. Indeed, the amount of explantion of the ins and outs of jurisfiction and the book world in the first half is quite offputting.

Fforde pulls it all together just after half way through, though, when the real story emerges, and from then on it's the familiar helter-skelter literary lunacy we've come to expect.

The end, though, hints at a new direction for this series. Might there be a certain amount of convergence with Fforde's other series, about the Nursery Crimes Division?