on 14 April 2017
I had heard great things of Jodi Piccoult so my expectations were probably too high. The story of the Nazi concentration camps was horrific but absorbing, but I didn’t find the modern day story that captivating.
on 20 February 2014
This isn't jodis usual style and I purchased the book on a whim. I am so glad I did.
The book has many horrific scenes that bought me to tears and I can honestly say the accounts of both the ss officer and the Jewish survivor will stay with me for life but saying that I couldn't put the book down and had to know how this would end... how the author would play the rest of the book out.

If your looking for an easy read... this is not for you. It's tough to imagine /place yourself in the characters shoes but very well written... attention to detail is amazing and I would definitely recommend.
on 14 September 2015
Like all Jodi Picoult's books, this keeps you guessing all the way through. It just goes to show you never know what that little old man or woman might have in their past - maybe not quite so sweet as they look...
Most however don't have anything quite so shocking as this to cover up. Beautifully - but also grimly - descriptive. Thought-provoking. Thoroughly recommend this; as usual, didn't want it to ever end!
on 7 December 2013
I purchased this as I love Jodi's books.
At the beginning this book didn't grab me, I was going to put it down and look for something else to read. But, I kept reading it and then got hooked. The story was told with so much love and detail, but make sure you have tissues by your side. I cried in several parts whilst reading this and I am so glad I finished it.
Fantastic ending and loved the Shock twist. This book will be read again in the future.
on 2 June 2014
This story is obviously woven with large elements of fact. One of the best books I have read in a long while. Couldn't read it for too long at a time, parts of it were SO harrowing and disturbing. Man's inhumanity to man perfectly portrayed.
on 13 October 2015
This fantastic story captured my attention from page 1 and still haunts me weeks after I have finished it. The intense description of what happened from 2 perspectives was vivid am a great twist at the end....amazing!! Now looking for something similar.
on 26 April 2017
Not bought for me... but I hear it is quite good Arrived in good clean condition
on 14 April 2017
Absolutely brilliant,couldn't put it down. Love Jodi's books,fantastic reads.
on 13 August 2015
Absolutely loved this and it was really thought provoking. So much so that I am visiting Auschwitz in December
on 1 May 2017
I'd stopped reading Jodi Picoult for quite some time as I felt she'd lost her edge. I was extremely surprised how much I enjoyed this book. This is very well written.