Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 June 2007
This book is all about how you can deliberately create the life of your dreams. Lynn Grabhorn writes: "If you really think that things come to you by some stroke of good or bad luck, or by accident, or coincidence, or by knocking your brains out against some very unsympathetic stone walls, then get a grip. This book could be dangerous to your discontent."

She points out something that most of us know, but don't acknowledge fully... the fact that when you have negative feelings, they create negative energy and events. Turning that piece of awareness on its head, she shows how to change your negative emotions into positive ones. So now you can attract the corresponding positive energy and events into your life.

Interestingly, from my brain's point of view, the book claims that you don't actually get results from positive thinking. What's important is to turn the thoughts into feelings... it's the positive emotion which will bring your dreams to life.

This is written in a very conversational style which can grate a little at times, but don't let that put you off. It's powerful stuff!
on 27 November 2005
I thought this book was fantastic! It came to me at a time when I was positively asking for and seeking ways to get out of the stagnant slump I'd found myself in! Was it chance that it came to me? No way! Lynn Grabhorn's straight talking style makes this book so easy to read and understand. My copy went everywhere with me for about two months after I bought it and since then I have honestly seen many positive changes in my life, all from focusing on my feelings and changing my energy vibrations. I haven't felt this connected to my inner energy source since I was a kid. This really works!
on 28 August 2006
After reading untold numbers of self help book for research, reference and personal reasons, I feel I have hit upon a magic little books that has worked for me. I am on my third run of reading it (one gets different things out of it each time you read it...) and spinning my feelings positively, I have made some real major goals happen... amazing!

It won't suit everyone, so if it doesn't work for you...keep looking, you will find one that does. But if you find this book working for you, then KNOW you will have some amazing things happen in your life. I have sent it to my brother and sister who are really needing to refocus their energies right now and waiting to see how their lives are going to change...
on 31 July 2006
I agree with the first reviewer in that this book was so bad I had to review it.

Even though I agree IN PRINCIPLE with the basic message of this book, that our thoughts and feelings affect our life,much more than we think they can, the obnoxious and tasteless delivery prevented me from getting anything out of the book.

Also I feel that the book focusses very much on the negative, especially given what it is about. The author has also displayed some twisted logic it seems to me.

For example- she says that you can tell how positive your vibes are and how well you are doing the techniques by how much money you have coming in, ignoring the fact that there are some very rich and very unhappy people out there, and some very contented and fulfilled people living on a very modest income.

She also implies that having everything we want will make us happy, and that bad things will inevitably happen to us if we feel negatively. When bad things happen to positive people they are secretly very negative, apparently.

So called "bad things" happen to everyone, no matter how positive, and can often be a really positive experience for some people, like gaining perspective, priorities and an appreciation of life and all the little things to be grateful for, for example, after an illness.

To be frank I found the whole thing insulting and offensive.

I wholeheartedly recommend Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain which is well explained and a very positive and enjoyable read, and deals much, much better with the subject.
on 25 February 2010
This is a must read for anyone who needs a bit of a pick me up...or who wants to make a great life even better. This is one of those books that would appeal to many different types of readers as it is written in such a practical way.
on 7 November 2008
Well I personally hated this book whilst reading it. It is an extremely grating and irritating read. The book is too Americanised for most English people's stomachs, very whiny, it's so repetitive throughout, it never stops being repetitive, you'd think it would, but it doesn't, however the message does get through, it is only one message.

It is patronising and assumes the reader is stupid and only negative in their thinking, which isn't true for every single reader; each reader will be at a different level of growth. She paintbrushes everyone with the same coat, saying `all people' where she could say `most people' etc..

The author is too black and white, very stubborn and believes her way of thinking is the only way of thinking. She is very aggressive in her writing, the book made me very angry as I was picking up on her anger. She shouts and rams the message down your throat. I do not like the way she has written the book at all. The idea of writing a self help book is not to anger or offend your possibly vulnerable reader who is only seeking help, not a slap in the face; personally I don't need that sort of help.

I really disliked this author, she had a very negative vibe, and seemed to be in complete denial and suppressed her true feelings-of which I did still pick up on, as if it were bad to feel down sometimes, but I believe it is ok to cry and be upset and let feelings out and one shouldn't feel guilty about it as if something bad will happen if they do allow negative feelings out.

She came across very selfish, materialistic, and as if the book itself was just another of her money making schemes that has ultimately been a success, I felt like a `sucker' reading it as I realised the sort of person she is, my only relief being that I had borrowed it from a friend and not paid money out to this business woman, not a spiritual, gentle, kind, or generous woman, very much all business, not my style when your thoughts are derived from making money instead of growing and learning and sharing with others.

I am an open minded person and I am quite flexible in my thinking, but she makes promises that simply aren't true, and guarantees if you follow `her way', but there are no guarantees in life.

The whole basis of the book says it's `my way or the highway', and quite often her ONE way theory, is very much flawed, I disagreed with a lot of what she wrote, the content, language and the style.

For a positive book I've found it to be the most negative I've ever read, although there are a few little snippets of good advice that I have taken from it, and a few things I agreed with and had previously thought or behaved that way myself which it then backed up, overall I think other people would possibly benefit from this book, but that I really didn't.

And so, I have put my opinion down because I feel as a writer myself, I must, but it is my opinion. overall it's worth a read and did get me thinking if nothing else, but only that my own previous beliefs were right and are now stronger and that they indeed were making me happy and I was on the right track prior to this book. I may also write my own, more positive self help book, my own way, one day.
This is one of those books that resinated so much with me, the title couldn't be further from the truth. Since reading the book I see life from a whole new perspective and react and respond from a different place. I was ready to read this book at this time in my life, as the saying goes; when the pupil is ready the teacher will appear and what a powerful teacher it was.
on 17 January 2012
Ever wondered why some people are successful, happy, healthy, rich, whilst others suffer from illness, poverty, tragedy etc.? Did you think it had something to do with hard work, intelligence, lucky breaks, genetics, personal connections? Silly you! It is just about feeeelings (this is how the author always spells it). You just have to feeeeeel good and voila, the universe will obligingly deliver everything you want. Because, as we all know, getting everything you want is the way to be happy.

Obviously all those people starving in South Sudan need to buck up their feeeelings and the universe will magically deliver food and political stability to them. Whilst we in the affluent West must all have the right kind of good feeeeelings which explains why the universe delivered us the lion's share of the world's weath and other goodies like the internet and fish foot spas. Dear God...

I found this book profoundly depressing. I can't believe it made it to the New York Times bestseller list. My faith in humanity has never been so low.
on 12 April 2012
I know that coming from a 'brit' this may seem that a little over the top but this book changed my life so much that I went and bought more copies for other friends and family members. However .... this comes with a caveat, it only does so when you are ready for it. I was originally given it by another friend for Christmas in 2008 when I was particularly low and it really didn't hit the spot. When I re-read it three years later after allowing my fingers to do the walking along my bookshelf it was obvious that the right time had come.

Yes, it is full of a lot of happy clappy stuff, yes it is very americanised but hey get over it. Read it and read through the bits that seem over the top; don't pay attention to the stories if they aren't your life, simply take the messages and move on. If you can apply the underlying principles without getting caught up in the things that might grate due to cultural conditioning then I guarantee Lynn's book will work a minor miracle on you too. Without it, I wouldn't have got to the stage where my novel Woman On The Edge Of Reality is finally finished. If you want to achieve something, then why not use it to help you along too.
on 19 November 2014
I found this book too annoying to read fully. There are so many boring anecdotal stories written in an infuriating American style. None of it is based on any research or facts. The writer seems to take the view that happiness and success in life is defined by your bank balance and possessions. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if she had got to the point quicker - it seems she is saying the same thing over and over until the last few pages of do and don'ts, which are the the best bit really.
I agree that positive thinking is a really powerful tool but this book is a bad advert for it.