Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 September 2003
Spiritual books have an air of cult about them, this book is no such thing. Deeper than our values, inter-wound into our beliefs and absent from our mindless habits there is a higher self. Be here now.
The signposts used in this book have helped me to put what matters most first. Eckhart Tolle places into words the hardest of ideas and clearly states the beliefs that hinder my happiness. The writings are open and inviting, following the same gentle tone used in The Power of Now. Each chapter follows a basic theme, striking a note on the things that are deep down in all of us. And just looking at and knowing these signposts makes my mind a more interesting place.
In essence, this book is the core of what many religions take years to teach. Its secret is not in the teaching, but in the writings openness and acceptance to what we are.
I would recommend this book to anyone to which it appeals.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2004
I found this audiobook to be very relaxing and comforting. Eckhart Tolle seems to remind you that peace is what is really important,and is what you lose the most if you get too involved with mass consciousness, but through paying attention to the stillness all around you and more importantly within you, you can rediscover the peace in the Now that is everyone's salvation.He is a wise and empathetic teacher who truly lives his message, and there is a lot here to inspire others.
on 9 May 2009
As with all Eckhart Tolle books, this is another 'bible' for me. It's written in sections which can be read together or on their own, which makes it easy to read and understand. As in 'The Power of Now' it is a spiritual book written in Western form which can teach us to live in the moment and understand how our minds work so that we can find peace. I think it is a book everyone should read!
on 13 June 2014
Love anything by Exkhart Tolle as he is so inspiring!
I read it through greedily once and it is very practical advice for everyday living, - not lofty spiritual work that you can never hope to attain. He is simply very clear and wise and not wrapped up in jargon. His philosophy is based on Buddhist principles of non attachment and non resistance, but he explains the reasons why this approach works from a psychological point of view.
I am drawn back to it frequently and just dipping into the words, randomly, remind me of centering and finding the eye of the storm within!
A great classical handbook for living in a crazy world.
Example..... 'Whenever you feel negativity arising within you,whether caused by an external factor, a thought or even nothing in particular that you aware of, look on it as a voice saying.''Attention. Here and Now. Wake up. Get out of your mind. Be present!'

Buy it now - its one you will want to own and refer to often, not borrow and have to return a copy to a friend
on 7 March 2014
Love the paragraphs.... Great format
Does what it's supposed to.. Reminds us of what utter garbage our mind continually traffics..
Thanks ET (maybe thats his trick.. He's from outer space and he's giving directions to inner space..)
on 2 September 2009
If you have read books by Eckhart Tolle, such as The Power of Now, and to my mind his best work A New Earth. Then Stillness Speaks is a book which can be kept near at hand, to ponder some of the paragraphs contained in his works. The profound passages from his books helped me to get through a difficult time. The Power of Now, and A New Earth give much food for thought, and the short clips in Stillness Speaks enable you to think of the messages his books convey,A New Earth: Create a Better Life without going into lengthy reading. Good to keep nearby.
44 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2008
Although much shorter and suffused with such lengths of silence that one wonders what exactly has been said, I found this to be more powerful than Eckhart Tolle's first book (which itself was brilliant). His original 'The Power of Now' was marred by the inclusion of an alluring but nonetheless unfalsifiable Eastern metaphysics. Tolle -almost- does what he says in the introduction: he presents a message that one already knows deep within oneself. I trust the listener will be discerning enough to recognize when Tolle unwittingly stops being a spiritual teacher and takes on the role of religious preacher. Thankfully, in this, his second book, he is less of the latter and more of the former.
on 27 February 2008
Becoming aware of space and silence where ever you are creates an inner space between your thoughts, an inner stillness. This inner stillness takes you beyond your thinking mind (ego) and reveals the un-manifested dimension where problems cease to exist and you always have everything you need.
on 1 December 2010
Having experienced the death of my son in law from Motor Neurone Disease,i found myself to be in a very dark place. I was attending counselling where my therapist recommended this book to me.I pick it up frequently and read small sections which i spend some time thinking through. It is now affecting the way i think about my life and makes so much sense to me now. I think at certain times in your life you are in need of help to look at problems from a different perspective and this book has helped me to do that
on 10 November 2015
Wow! Let this one explode into the "unconsciouness" of all of us.
Tolle is one of a rare group of people whose words affirm the existence of consciousness.
This book is a perfect instrument which inspires exhuberant celebration.
review image