Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 October 2016
We join a circle of friends who've known each other for years. We get to know each one as we see what's happening to each of them and learn more about them and their relationships.
Melissa and Paul have an on again, off again relationship. Vicky & Chris are solid as a rock and hold everyone together. Coop and Laura are finding themselves pulling each other in different directions as they try to figure out what the next move is.
Through the story we flit back and forth through time and also get to know some other people along the way.
Love, laughter, joy and despair all wrapped up in one little book.
on 10 May 2017
I found the multiple narratives quite difficult to follow at the start, but once you got to know the characters it was an endearing read.
on 30 August 2017
This book starts of confusing, as there are so many characters to introduce. But, then about a third if the way in, everything just clicks. This book had me crying at the end. It is well written and thought provoking.
on 6 April 2017
Fun easy reading book.
on 1 January 2017
First time reader of Mike Gayle, and thoroughly enjoyed this book. What I loved most was the relationships didn't fall in the usual expected ones of happy endings and everyone living happily ever after. The people and their relationships felt real, sometimes raw and I felt it was listening to a friend relating a story of people they knew well. I laughed out loud several times, read too quickly often just to find out what was going to happen and towards the end cried a few times too. A lovely book
on 19 March 2017
Very average
on 11 May 2017
AWAITING TO READ
on 1 November 2016
My first experience of Mike Gayle. So glad I found him! His writing flows very easily - couldn't put it down. I would describe this book as a cross between Thirty Something and Cold Feet recounting how a group of friends dealt with love and loss. Very human and moving.
on 8 March 2017
I love love love Mike Gayle books! This is the first one I've read for years and he's still got it! To read a book, written by a guy, about feelings is so refreshing, proving there are sensitive men around. His characters are always likeable and you end up caring about them and their lives.
VINE VOICEon 20 September 2008
To me, a Mike Gayle novel is like a good friend that you see from time to time. When you meet up you automatically pick up where you left off, and it's with some sadness when the evitable time approaches for you to say your goodbyes. This novel is no exception, although there are new additions to this novel not seen in his others. Death makes an appearance, which along with love, is an essential ingredient of life. Adultery, trust, settling down, and feeling restricted within a relationship are all explored among a group of six friends, within the settings of house parties, leaving do's, and house warmings. To me, Mr. Gayle's novels are why I love reading. Unlike some novels, which are hard to get into (but to be fair, some do get better, and reward a patience person) I immediately feel at home in his work, with this being no exception. That's not to say that I didn't find fault with one or two things here. Like a fellow reviewer has expressed, I couldn't understand what it was about Paul, which enamored Melissa so such. Maybe his character could have been better explored/explained.
In conclusion I'd say that this was an enjoyable read that will sit well with fans of this genre, and of Mr. Gayle