on 4 August 2000
I loved this book, consuming it within a couple of days. I have grown sick of some of the more predictable Lager Saga type novels focussing around girls who always get their man, so this novel made a refreshing change. Initially the main character annoyed me, but I soon came to recognise quite frightening similarities between myself and Ruth and I am sure anyone else who reads the novel would agree (drama queens anyone? ). The dialogue was excellent, I laughed out loud in many places, whilst feeling quite emotional towards the end! When is the next book out Faith?
on 26 December 2002
After reading a few varying reviews, I thought I would give the book a go. Armed with a few days filled with nothing to do, I began reading the debut novel by Faith Bleasdale. The subject matter seemed something I could possibly relate to, having just graduated from university. However, the university that each and every selfish and self centered character in this book attended, was certainly not one I had ever heard of.
From page one, the incessant and annoying ramblings of the main character Ruth, made me want to slap her. Add to that one equally annoying ex boyfriend and three 'one dimensional' flat mates and the result is a book which both bored and irritated me.
I persevered however, through each and every ridiculous one night stand and 'relationship' until I finally reached the end.
The book did have a few good parts, but I felt the development of characters, other than Katie, were severely lacking.
I had already read the second installment by Ms Bleasdale 'Pinstripes', which is altogether a much more accomplished and well rounded novel. So if you have only read this one and been put off for life, I would recommend having a look at her second offering. Much better!
on 31 July 2000
A funny and introspective look into the life of a young woman suffering trials and tribulations of an unfair world. Faith Bleasdale captures Ruths feelings and emotions and you can't help but laugh out loud while being taken on Ruths journey to find a man - any man, that will marry her and take her away from life on her own paypacket!
on 11 February 2001
I was so disappointed with this book - I'd read a few reviews and it sounded interesting. But I found myself getting really frustrated with Ruth and her complete lack of 'get up and go'. The idea of a young uni graduate wanting to do nothing but snare a man and look after him and not be interested in a career at all just seemed so implausible. My own student days ended about 10 years ago and I certainly don't remember any of my friends and colleagues being like Ruth! I kept on with the book right to the end which was actually better than I'd expected. The self-pitying tone of this novel reminded me of 'Closure' by Sarah Harris - another irritating read!
on 25 November 2015
Like some others, I found the main character of the book quite irritating. I hoped that eventually she would find something she really wanted to do with her life other than just find a husband although its each to their own! I persevered with the story as I hate not finishing books but was then left disappointed that we didn't get to hear what happened afterwards, even if it was just an extra chapter or summary.
on 29 September 2014
Not a particularly easy book to read, Ruth is too self obsessed for that. I couldn't help but wonder who the character was based on, it's hard to believe that someone like this could exist. I can't decide whether I liked or loathed this story - the conclusion being it can't have been that bad, I finished it. One to make your own mind up about......
on 13 March 2001
This book had sex scenes to make your hair curl. Not only that but the author managed to refrain from the usual corny 'lurve scenes'. It was funny, enjoyable, and I would say true to life, but not exactly my life. However all the main characters seemed real to me. Which is why I loved them, and I loved this book.
on 29 September 2014
After reading the title and blog I expected a good, funny story however I found it quite depressing and repetitive, unfortunately.
on 16 May 2015
Really disappointed was recommended this book and hated it, very weak story and what can I say just couldn't wait to finish it!
on 24 March 2015
a lot of rubbish no story