Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 March 2001
I purchased this book after reading Mike Gayle's first two books My Legendary Girlfriend and Mr. Commitment, both which I found fantastic. Although the book was written in Mike Gayle-ish fashion, it was certainly not everything I had hoped it had been, some parts very disappointing. As a previous person stated, it seems as if this book was a rush job to fill in some type of gap right after Mr. Commitment. Although not everything I had hoped, I still look forward to reading Mike Gayle's next book!
on 13 March 2003
I received this book as a present when I, surprise!, turned 30. Having never been interested in reading any 30 something books (and having avoided the frankly awful TV series) I turned to page one with trepidation and was....disappointed.
To be honest it is hard to get worked up about this book either in a negative or poitive way which is is probably the most damning review someone could give. It doesn't warrant a reaction short of a resigned sigh. Sadly Mike is not a central character that 99% of men (or at least I hope not) would identify with. He comes across as a spineless loser who can't hang on to his young girlfriend, flees back to Mum and Dad and has a half hearted affair with an old flame from back home. Sound familiar? Thats because if you've ever read your girlfriends magazine, every month they tell these sorts of stories. Therein lies the problem with Gayles' book. Its got no substance or heart that makes you care about what you are reading. When it reaches its "Cold Feet"-light conclusion you are grateful and yet angry that anyone could document this supposed milestone in your life in such a vacuous way. I hung in there but really wanted to throw the book away after the chapter on the "ER game". Avoid. Read something that makes you think. There is more on the challenge of encroaching age in one line of your average Paul Auster novel than in this whole book.
on 18 March 2002
I bought his book at Amsterdam's airport and then forgot it on the plane on my return to Vienna after reading a few chapters. Unfortunately the story did not continue to be as promising and enjoyable as it began. All in all OK for a rainy Sunday afternoon. Don't expect too much of it. By the way, I am well bejond 30 and I honestly did not encounter all the fears of getting older and trying to hang on to colleague life.
on 5 January 2008
Worst book I have ever read by quite a margin, stuck with it to see if it improved it didn't just got worse.
on 15 April 2001
Hmmm....Im not sure what to think of this book. I know I went through phases of really enjoying it, but this was interspersed with periods of depression, all reflecting how the character's life was faring at the time. There's a bit of everything in here - comedy, sadness, psychology, sociology, in fact everything that makes life as complex as it is, and in that respect the author has succeeded in his task. He has shown the situation, thoughts and dilemmas of any man or woman "turning thirty" in Britain. (Perhaps I wanted a happier tale, more escapism than realism). It is very well written, the author being very much in touch with his inner thoughts and feelings, and having the ability to put them down on paper in a manner we can all relate to.
The end of a book is of such importance, and in that respect this story didnt satisfy. The pace seemed wrong, and without giving away the ending, I shall just say it was not what I wanted for the character. It was certainly realistic though, and therefore in keeping with the tone of the book.
on 12 February 2001
I bought this because i've read his other books and i particularly liked mr.commitment,which made me laugh out loud in parts. However this is not a patch on it and i can't help feeling this book was written in a hurry to be sold off the back of the success the author has had so far.Read mr. commitment instead.
on 15 August 2000
Perhaps when you turn thirty you automatically become more cynical but I found this incredibly dull. Even though I have just turned thirty, have been having a transatlantic relationship for the past few years and am even called Matt, I just could not identify with the Matt in the book (or any of the characters for that matter). I found it all a bit vacuous and one dimensional, the dialogue was poor (none of the near-thirties I know would ever have conversations like these) and when you get to my age, time is just too precious for books like these....
on 23 December 2001
What a wonderful, engaging novel this is. I was drawn to it as I was rapidly approaching 30 myself, and reading this book has been so enjoyable. Interesting characters (particularly Matt, Elaine & Ginny), nice presentation (I really liked the e-mails between chapters) and a good ending helped to make this a fantastic piece of work. I'm definitely on my way to pick up the rest of Mr Gayle's work, if it's half as good and readable as this, it'll be great. Highly recommended.
on 8 August 2002
Not Mike's best book, but FUNNY nevertheless.
When it comes to enjoying this book, I think age has a lot to do with it. Thirty somethings can appreciate and smile at some of Mike's sentiments, any younger and you may not understand them.
The book had me chuckling on the train to work. A book for the ladies.
on 22 August 2001
The only saving grace upon reading this book was the authors writing style which made it easier to finish. Whilst the story line sounds promising it fails to deliver the early promise of a good read and leaves you annoyed at the main character Matt who is totally paralysed by his analysis of the past.