on 8 July 2013
A grammar for people who know their language but need a grammar (like me )for their daily ( or yearly) work.
on 25 March 2012
I found the book very comprehensive and it's given me all that I need to progress with my German classes. It's well laid out and each chapter deals so well with its subject. I am very satisfied with my purchase.
on 15 November 2011
I am studying German and have bought serveral books on German grammar one of them being Hammer also by Martin Durrell. Although Hammer is an extensive grammer book, the explanation and examples are very dry making the German Grammar not accessible and not fun to study. The Essential grammar book on the other hand is the opposite and is clear in examples, welcoming you to open the book and study German grammar. I would highly recommend this book to anybody who is studying German.
on 13 July 2015
Well-laid out, easy-to-follow guide.
on 14 October 2011
A very helpful and useful grammar book to support any study of German. I use this book to assist my German degree; the exercises and explanations of hard grammar terms are really good. Would recommend to anyone studying German.
on 27 July 2012
I bought this book based on the reviews on Amazon. Such a mistake.

I am currently studying for my DaF test, so I thought I'd get this as a booster before my exam.

It is the worst grammar book I've ever used. It goes out of its way to make things overly complicated. It is almost as if the aim of the authors was to alienate students. I used Hammer grammar @ school (not my favourite book), so I sort of knew what to expect, but this is a joke. Its like a grammar book from the 1950s, but with colours and diagrams.

I will be donating my copy to my local library - with a warning attached.
on 1 April 2013
Not as easy to use as the hard copy, but I thought the kindle version would be useful. A bit disappointed.
on 1 August 2013
The book was sold to me as used so I expected a little wear and tear. However, there was more damage than a few dog-ears. The entire back cover was held on by tape and there were large black stains throughout the front pages.

Having said that, the book itself is really good.