on 14 September 2014
could not get on with this - its probably me but the characters didn't live.
on 20 September 2015
Very slow start. Very slow middle section. Too complicated. Did not finish.
on 10 May 2015
Superb tale of grey men, shadows, questions and uncertainty. A great read.
on 3 January 2012
John Le carre has never particularly appealed before, but I saw the film and really enjoyed it, so thought I would give the book a try.

And I'm glad I did. This book is really good and I was hooked. Best book I have read in a long while and I'm certainly going to read the 2nd and third books in the trilogy.

Really good film, fantastic book.
on 10 October 2015
This, and Smiley's people, are probably the best of the spy genre ever!
on 7 February 2012
We all know what a great story this is, but when you've little time to sit and read and take what ever spare time you have, for me that's walking the dogs, to listen to such a well read and portrayed audio book, it was an absolute delight. Simply it's engrossing for all reasons. Well worth the money.
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not a big fan of audiobooks - I'd rather have a proper book to read. However, having caught parts of this broadcast on Radio 4, I thought I'd give it a chance. I wasn't disappointed.

Simon Russell Beale has long been an excellent actor, and, personally, I didn't find myself thinking of Alec Guinness even once whilst listening to this, which is testament to his performance. In fact, I couldn't fault any of the performers.

The BBC Sound Department (or whatever they're called) behave themselves impeccably here - I do sometimes think they go a little OTT with their sound effects - as the sound blends nicely with the actors without being overly distracting.

The plotting is standard Le Carre, i.e. make sure you're paying attention.

At 3 hours, this is quite long to listen to in one sitting - I found it to be more or less the length of the M4 in duration - but it's certainly worth diving into.
on 18 April 2016
Le Carré is a genius almost unrivalled in his chosen genre.
on 17 December 2015
Wonderfully crafted narrative makes the story even better.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2010
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As with all BBC dramatisations production values are high, the cast excellent and considerable thought has gone into turning a fairly complex book into something that can be enjoyed by all.

Patience will be required though, especially if you've neither read the books nor seen the TV series as there are a reasonably large number of characters to follow and narration is kept to a minimum. The plot device of Smiley's relationship with his estranged wife is excellent, both to humanise George and give us an insight into how Karla works to find and exploit his adversaries weaknesses.

A terrific way to spend a wet Sunday afternoon, just don't be expecting any shoot outs, high speed chases or misogyny.