on 19 May 2017
simple plot, simple characters, acting in straightforward manners, no great depth, or developments...reads like a basic story for younger readers, about on the level of sutcliff, or stevenson, but without the tension, poetic language or excitement...fairly dull, predictable and slow...the queen is good, the king is good, the knight is good, the abbess is good, the brother monks are good...well, you get the idea...the evil doers are deluded and to be pitied....it is also marred by silly typos/misprints/ spelling mistakes...strange...but at least it was cheap, and i have always adored richard lionheart, so ok, good enough...
on 12 May 2017
This is a remarkable book. It brings the time of Richard the Lionheart to life beautifully. Aspects of the times become real and understandable. All the people in the book are likeable (or not, as the case may be), and the things they do and say are believable. I thoroughly enjoyed a glimpse of 12th century England and intend to continue with the Hawkenlye series.
on 27 February 2018
I really enjoyed this story! The plot was well thought through and the relationship between the abbess and the knight developed nicely. Although a murder story, it was very pleasing that it did not contain a lot of gruesome content, leaving me to imagine the scene. The characters were well described and I felt, historically correct. This is one f the best books I have read in a while, although I chose it purely by chance! I was really pleased to find the second book in the series, which I am now enjoying equally as much!
on 2 January 2018
Handy as a read at bedtime - nothing too complicated or exciting enough to keep me awake, but enough to keep me interested. I'm still in love with the Crowner John series by Sir Bernard Knight and trying to find something as good as those!
on 11 February 2014
After a long day at work this book delivered exactly what I wanted - the writing was good and whilst it wasn't the most taxing of reads I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I found the plot was well worked out, the characters were well drawn and it held my interest right to the end. I'd certainly recommend it and I'll be readig others in the series.
on 3 February 2018
I loved this book and read the whole series
on 16 April 2016
An enjoyable read. The author includes sufficient historical details to give a Sense of period. The mystery story bundles you along and the protagonists are likeable characters. I shall definitely read more. Great to have found another series of books to sinbk my teeth into.😊
on 28 July 2017
I'm finding this range of books really enjoyable. Looking forward to reading more of them
on 4 May 2017
Very interesting book shall be reading the whole series
on 12 August 2017
Having read and enjoyed the Aelf Fen series thought I would try a Hawkenlye book. Have rated this first book 3 stars but fully intend to read more.