on 22 May 2015
It is the only book that i know if that goes in useful way over the practicalities of fasting, silence, simplicity, community, and indeed all spiritual disciplines, putting them all into context with each other and with the walk with God. No other book covers it all so accessibly and usefully. I have referred to it since the 80's and never superseded it or found it obsolete or superfluous. its presence on my book shelf is a constant admonition to my lifestyle. I have lost count of the amount of copies i have bought and given on. It is the only book I know like it.
on 16 June 2016
I bought this hardback edition as a replacement for my yellowing paperback edition purchased in 1983. Well into the second half of my life, I know now which are the books that I will return to again and again and this is one of them. Richard Foster's writing is clear, uncomplicated, thought provoking and challenging - and always conveys the kindness and love of God. It is a spiritual classic.
on 11 May 1998
Although a lifelong Christian and daughter of a Methodist minister, I had never explored certain of the "classic" Christian disciplines that Foster covers. This book provides a wonderful introduction to these topics, as well as new ideas for the disciplines with which I was already familiar. In particular, the friends with whom I read the book and I enjoyed the sequence in which Foster covered the various topics, and the interconnectedness of each of these chapters. Read the book and work through it with the accompanying journal/workbook. Use it as the basis for small group discussions or an organized retreat. Regardless of your background this book will help you learn and grow in your Christian beliefs, and will help you put those beliefs in action in new ways.
on 16 February 2013
This is a wonderful book that leads one through the 12 spiritual discipines in a deep yet practical way. It is as relevant today (if not more so!) than when it was written 3 decades ago. But of course so are the scriptures on which it is firmly based if only people had eyes to see that!!
on 3 March 2014
I was directed to this title & author by Beverley Shepherd - current daily readings.
I am finding him to be clear and realistic in his descriptions and very east to read and understand.
There is a great deal in his book and calls for me to spend time with it and in 'The Word' it relates to.
I like it as it's easy to follow but more importantly it directs me back to the bible for confirmation.
on 31 July 2009
This is my favourite on spiritual disciplines that I would really like to recommend to anybody who care to have a real communion with God(Our father). The book - Celebration of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth - is easy to comprehend but have a profound effect on the reader. He talked on Meditaion, Study, Solitude, prayer, fasting, Submission (self denial), Service(taking up the towel as Jesus did), Worship, e.t.c. At last, I now know how the little disciplines i engage in can be used by God to transform my developed human character to become conformed to the image of His dear son Jesus. I would like to say thanks to Richard Foster for been a Vessel for the Work of God. But all glory is to our Lord and Saviour who spoke through Richard in this book.
on 1 September 1999
A friend of mine from the South Carolina Kairos Prison Ministry once said "You can no more teach something you don't know, than you can come back from some place you've never been." Foster clearly has been in the place of spiritual discipline. He walks the talk.
The disciplines he describes are not some mystical formula from giants with whom we cannot identify; rather he teaches us how to tap into practical methods for finding out what our spirit knows is best, and that our flesh is resistant to try.
Even if the reader has experienced disappointments with religion, he or she will finally find, in Foster's work, the place the soul calls home.
on 29 September 2015
A guide to deepening one's spiritual life as a Christian. It is practical, challlenging and eminently readable. A book to read and to re-read. Both new Christians and those who have been on the Christian path for many years will benefit from it. Highly recommended.
on 7 October 1998
After having read this book many many times and seeing this book lived out by the Author I can attest it is one of the greatest works ever done about following God in our chaotic world.
Not only have I had the privilege to read this work but having Dr Foster as a professor helped me to understand more his heart. This book is one you will come back to time and time again.
on 18 December 2013
Our minister recommended this book because he was planning to base a series of sermons on it. Maybe it's just me. I know people talk highly of Richard Foster, but as soon as I began to read it I suddenly remembered why I'd given up reading the last book of his I bought. I disagreed with several of his 'facts', and as the former carer of someone with an eating disorder I found what he had to say about fasting particularly worrying. I'm not decrying fasting as a practice, but for instance, I don't subscribe to the assertion that hunger pangs are just your stomach behaving like a spoilt child. I have studied these things. I would suggest you read this with all your critical faculties switched to 'On' - but then I guess that's how you should read all books, shouldn't you?