Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

1,354
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 April 2016
I agree with the overall message that mindfulness is the key to liberation from suffering. However, the writing feels quite narcissistic and uses terms/concepts that are never defined. For someone looking for a pragmatic guide to self-improvement through mindfulness, I would not recommend this book.

There are so many better books out there that this book is a waste of time. I do not believe this book deserves the reviews it currently has but I guess that's due to Oprah's publicity.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2012
Ive read over 20 books of this type and this is the best by far. Tolle writes beautifully (Especially considering that English is not his first language) I read other books and then come back to this one.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2015
Powerful. I couldn't put it down...
on 26 January 2017
My 20 year old son lives in the NOW. He doesn't give a flying f...ck about tomorrow or yesterday and is always in the NOW. Is he a success ? Not from what I judge; he's a complete waist of space. Ive read enough books in my time and I enjoy reading new concepts and paradigms but this book is just painfully repetitive and contradictory. In fact the whole prescription of the NOW goes against the reality of life. I tried a few times with this book but it just goes in circles.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2005
Found the authors voice very hard to listen to. He should have got someone else to do the tape. I couldn't listen to them as his voice was very monotonous and depressing.
on 4 December 2014
Amazing .Seems to be a good manual re the everyday attempt to be in touch with that magical part of oneself which we all seek.
So strange that we only need to be quiet for a bit , to be in touch with with it, before we are back again in our hurly burly lives.
I am repeatedly taken aback at the astuteness of it; all cars have manuals; this is the manual for that challenge of being as much as possible in the focus of the present. That place where we really are who we are.
Yes it is all a bit like Ground hog Day.
And feels a bit what Buddhists are about. Well a whole lot what Buddhists are about.
Like happiness, this comes as being highly recommended.
The way I see it; I am like the driver in my car. I know I must pay attention.
My mind is like the passenger, most of the time we get along pretty well. In the Now, call it meditation, whatever, is a remarkable place, and the passenger mind will keep talking! This is not much spoken of, I don't know why. It's always spoken of in meditation practice, and only then. This book is important and can seriously undamage your health !
on 2 February 2008
The message of this book is clear: Life is happening NOW and that our ego's escape into the past and the future stand in the way of living life in the present moment. That basic message is echoed in different contexts throughout the book.

Some need to fully explore how living in the present can influence different areas of their life. Others may read sections of the book and skip what they are already familiar with in their own spiritual journey.

This book needs to be pondered in a meditative way in order for the insights to resonate more deeply. The message is simple, however it requires going against predisposed tendencies of the ego. When we transcend the ego, then we can experience reality for what it is rather than filtering it through our mental lens.

This book is highly inspiring and it is balanced with Tolle's other book, "A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose." Try also "Nexus: A Neo Novel" for a book on ups and downs of the spiritual path. It's message of our connection to each other through empathy is insightful and compliments Eckhart Tolle.
on 28 February 2011
It has changed my life- and no- it's not one of those books that "changed" my life. it CHANGED my life-
It is incredible how simple it is to be aware of the ego and the pain body and how to recognise it for what it is without attaching too much meaning to it or worse, acting on it.
How wonderful to live in the Now and see the world in all its shimmering colours and leave the grey past and the illusory non-existent future out of the picture.

I've read it twice and incorporated it firmly in my life-

It's not a book about seeking happiness- it's a book that teaches you that you don't need to seek happiness- that all what is, Is. No need to seek- it is right here- right NOW.
on 2 June 2016
This book has the power in it to change your life as it has changed mine. It can't be guaranteed because you need to be ready for it but even if you aren't yet it will help sow the seed. It is a truly beautiful book which somehow penetrates beyond the mind and communicates with you on a deeper level at times. At any point on your own journey this couldn't come recommended more highly.
on 15 May 2009
This book really is a must for everyone. It takes some getting into but it is one of those books you will re read many times and recommend to anyone. I was recommended this by a friend. Once you grab what it is trying to tell you life is more relaxing and you wonder why you did not know about this before. An uplifting book and subject to make life simple, relaxing and really learn to live for the now, live for today not tomorrow it has not happened or the past its gone. Simply yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery today is a gift! That is what this book takes you to a place of peace and understanding life is not a rush, we miss out on so much of each day. Each and every second is important so live it. What a read.