Customer reviews

on 28 July 2017
Love this book. Always a sucker for a happy ending and this one is good. Enjoy some of Kate Fenton's books more than others but this is my favourite.
on 27 November 2001
I, too, was introduced to Ms. Fenton's work through her delightful Lions & Licorice, and decided to take a chance with The Colours of Snow. I do think that the blurbs on the back of the book were misleading. I do not consider this to have been a "romantic comedy." In my opinion, there is too much reality and pain in this story for it to have been a romantic comedy.
Fenton writes beautifully and, even if the plot hadn't interested me, I would have appreciated her talent with words. I read it on the plane home from London yesterday, and could not put it down. In fact, I finished it so quickly that I found myself re-reading entire chapters to re-live certain sections.
Unlike my fellow New Yorker, I found Ned to be extremely attractive. OK, perhaps he does seem too good to be true, but don't most literary heroes? He is a truly good and decent human being and, like Frankie, I could not resist him.
The next step is to check out the rest of Fenton's work. If her other books are as good as L&L and The Colours of Snow, it will be worth having waited all these years to read them.
on 12 March 2001
I first encountered Kate Fenton's work with "Lions and Liquorice". I'm a bit of a Jane-ite and had read about Fenton's clever twist on Pride and Prejudice. I loved L & L, and although the Colour of Snow is so completely different, I'm finding myself sad to finish it - I want more! I want to know how Frankie gets on with her life - yes, the ending is happy, but there are quite a few loose ends - ah, guess that's what makes for good literature. Unlike one reviewer here, I find much to be attracted to in Ned (the "fisherman"). This is a very well-written book, with a clever plot and some of the best "natural" dialog I've read in a while. I'm disappointed that it appears that most of Fenton's other books are out of print or otherwise hard to find. I'm ready to order everything she's written and have it shipped over to me. Fabulous book!
on 14 March 2002
I have read this book several times and always fall under its spell. When Frankie goes to stay in a cottage in the middle of the Yorkshire countryside, and starts to fall in love with Ned, the atmosphere of the book has the same delicious feeling of a pleasurable moment stolen out of time, that "Frenchman's Creek" by Daphne du Maurier has. Ned is a wonderful character, big and solid like a bear, intelligent, gentle and unassuming and I fall in love with him, every time I read the book. The advent of various other characters onto the scene adds a touch of spice to the plot and prevents the story from becoming too predictable.
on 9 December 1999
This has got ot be one of the sweetest books I've read in a long time. The psychological portraits were quite well done, and one found oneself, in spite of one's own views on extra-marital affairs, wishing things would work out for the artist and the lone fisher. The storytelling was good, the writing style was lovely.
It was well worth the postage to the US, where it is not available, and I want more stunning word portraits by this woman.
on 22 September 1999
Kate Fenton writes the same kind of warm, witty, wry, perceptive fiction as better known authors like Mavis Cheek or Laurie Graham, yet doesn't ever seem to get the recognition she deserves. The Colours of Snow is a wonderful autumn read about love and villages and human awkwardness, and a diffident hero who will melt your heart like the snow of the title. Highly recommended
on 13 November 2013
I chose the e-book version because I already have a hard copy. I purchased the original over ten years ago and thought it was the best book I had ever read. It's a real page-turner. The reason why I like it is because I feel so much in tune with everything about it. (I'm mid-50s and live in the UK). I can imagine the places described quite clearly. I completely empathize with the main character in the book, and although some of the plot may require a stretch of the imagination I am quite prepared to suspend reality in order to enjoy a thoroughly satisfactory piece of modern writing. I would recommend this to women of all ages [warning - just one sex scene!]
on 10 February 2007
If you love romance, you'll love this book! Set in a tiny village in Yorkshire, this is the story of how two people find love and manage to nurture it against improbable odds. The characters are all three-dimensional - some you'll love, others you'll hate - and the author very cleverly takes us to Yorkshire with her, where life amongst the locals is, for the lady artist who's trying to escape the pressures of city living, sometimes euphoric and sometimes down right dangerous. A wonderful story - the kind of romance you can believe in and one of the few I haven't been able to put down.
on 10 May 2000
I agree with the previous reveiws . I will add that this is a well written story about a real romance with credible real people with real problems. .... and yet it has a happy ending ...most intelligent love story authors seem to think that if you don't have a sad ending then you have not written a real book. Thank Goodness for Kate Fenton.
on 2 November 2014
seller fine - Ian Carmichael's widow's book - good holiday read - runs out of steam at end