on 14 December 2014
Read all the Famous Five books as a kid and wanted to re-read them again. Great story just as I remembered. Great to be able to get the original unchanged story and Enid Blyton wrote it. I don't understand why they try and change stories. Yes some of it may be a bit old fashioned and even a bit sexist etc but that is part of it's charm and even this thoroughly modern woman wasn't offended. A lot of fun if you enjoyed the books as a kid it is a fun trip down memory lane.
on 5 June 2012
It is the mark of a great story that can stand the test of time. I absolutely adored The Famous Five stories when I was young and I'm thrilled to say that nothing has changed upon reading these classic stories again many years later. This particular paperback edition of Five on a Treasure Island marks the 70th Anniversary and supports the House of Illustration with five of the Famous Five novels earning a cover-art makeover. The cover illustration has been done by Quentin Blake, known for his Roald Dahl illustrations, and the artwork looks superb. While the tale itself is simplistic and the language is a little old-fashioned it is still a charming and captivating story that brings back feelings of nostalgia whilst reading. It is the first in The Famous Five series and follows Julian, Dick, Anne, George and Timmy the dog on their adventures. It is a story worth having in your collection and this edition looks fantastic - I really hope that future generations will appreciate these timeless stories.
on 1 November 2014
I was afraid this might be too advanced for my nearly 6 year old grandson, but he absolutely loves it and thinks it is his first grown up book i.e. "a chapter book" as he calls it. Shall now enjoy collecting all the ones that follow for him during the next few years, as I too am enjoying it again 60 years+ later than the first time around and 30 odd years later than when my own children enjoyed it.
on 27 January 2013
All the Famous Five stories are great and my 8yo granddaughter is as enthralled by them as I was over 60 years ago. They play to children's fantasies now as much as they did then. It has helped my granddaughter's reading a great deal as they are such interesting stories and she cannot wait to find out what happens - putting herself in the story as it goes along. They might not be in the same genre as current authors by Enid Blyton had the knack of knowing just what children of that age wanted, and still do want.
on 14 February 2018
I bought this as a present for a young relative. I enjoyed this book so much as a child.
on 23 September 2014
I have to say I read this book a very long long time ago and found it very good. This copy I sent to my eldest granddaughter (6 years old) who enjoyed immensely. I have just brought a further Famous five books and will be sending them to her 1 each month. The family live on the Isle of Lewis.
on 29 April 2016
My 7 year old absolutely loved this and is now determined to read all of them! Whatever anyone may say about Enid Blyton, the stories have stood the test of time.
on 17 October 2014
A nice old fashioned story of children caught up in an adventure before the advent of T V. and all that has followed. Still a good read from when i first read these books when i was younger. An easy read for kids from about 8 years old. Quick delivery.
on 3 December 2017
Terrific.
on 28 October 2016
My son loves this book. He is not a keen reader, but this is so stimulating! He reads it unsupported.