Customer reviews

on 21 January 2003
This book is extremely helpful since it is informative, yet concise. The layout is simple to follow and the chapters are short and therefore easy to get through. The book covers practically everything from my abstract algebra module and since there are a lot of well-explained examples, the work does make a lot of sense. The way in which the answers to the questions are written is also useful. The book itself is small and very inexpensive. A very good buy.
on 25 April 2011
I first came across this book in my local library. I had a look through it and tried some problems but did not see how groups were important. Fast forward some weeks and I'm watching lectures on Algebraic topology and sure enough it seemed knowing about groups was a prerequisite. I tried finding the book at my library but it was "not in circulation" so I decided to buy it. Great book to give you an introduction but the key thing is the problem and answer sets really force you to get at the heart of important concepts. The supplier shipped it and it arrived in a few days-a nice surprise. And although the book is not new, there was nothing to suggest it had been used as it was in good condition. To sum, 5/5 in all aspects.
on 11 November 2011
This is a very readable and concise introduction to Group Theory. I wish there were more books like this for a whole range of topics in mathematics and in other subject areas. Unfortunately any search for books on Group Theory is likely to throw up expensive textbooks which as good as they are sometimes not what is required.

I highly recommend this book.