on 20 December 2003
As a huge fan of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice I have one question for Emma Tennant- WHAT WERE YOU THINKING! You have turned the character of Elizabeth Bennet, who we all love for her confidence and out-spoken manner into someone unrecognisable. She is constantly second guessing herself and has lost the passion of her convictions. Not only that but Georgiana has been turned from a shy, intelligent young lady who dislikes Miss Bingley intensley into a spiteful and over proud lady who hangs on miss Bingley's every word and shows no respect for her sister-in-law who she once greatly admired. Sadly I found the characters and storyline unbelievable!
on 23 January 1999
This book was a huge disappointment to me. I hoped to have some sort of interesting continuation of Pride and Prejudice where you understood how Lizzie had settled in to Pemberley. Instead you got a modern 'bonkbuster' mindset which talks about vaginal douches etc at the dinner table. Mr Darcy's character is ruined, as is Elizabeth's. I felt disappointed I had read this book as it coloured how I felt about the original. Emma Tennant should have left well alone.
on 28 August 1999
This is by far the worst the worst book I have ever read and I'm almaost ashamed to admit I've read it. It was recommended by a friend and I recently informed said friend of her awful taste in books. I could almost (almost) believe the charactors were real people but there's no way they came from P+P. They all seem such horribly selfish people (especially Lizzy and Darcy. The ending was a total mess, I was like, yeah right. It was so pathetic cos, having spent the entire book making things go wrong for all the charactors, Tennant suddenly decides she's gonna make everything come right again and, in a about the last half a page, they're all living happily ever after again (until Tennant attacks them again in 'An Unequal Marriage').
In short, I think it's fair to say that this book isn't even worthy of a try.
on 23 May 2001
The style of the book was very much like that of the original, but it was all so depressing! After the fairytale love affair between Darcy and Elizabeth, in this book it all seems to go wrong, and Mr Darcy is portrayed as being proud, adn un-loving yet again. I was deeply vexed by the nature of this book, as it is such an anti-climax to the wonderful ending of Pride and prejudice. If you want to find out whether Elizabeth is happy in her new marriage, then don't read this book, as you will be dissapointed!
on 21 January 2003
The best thing about this book is the front cover. It doesn't deserve stars - that alone publishing.
I don't know if Emma Tennant has read Pride and Prejudice or if she has read a different version because this certainly didn't ring true of any of the orginal characters in the book.
Elizabeth was made out to be a discontented wife who suspected her husband of all sorts of things including having a child by a commoner and Darcy is made out to be heartless and hates his wife!!! I don't think that is where Jane Austen left off or would havwe continued had she written a sequel.
If Jane Austen had written a sequel then we would all be spared sequels like these.
A disgrace to the charcters, the orginal novel and the authoress her self.
Don't buy it and don't attempt to read it, it will only upset Jane Austen and Darcy fans. A true let down.
on 26 February 2010
As a devoted and avid fan of P & P, I approached this book with great caution as I knew it could never live up to the original but decided to give it as go. Big mistake; this book is terrible. Elizabeth is a simpering, indecisive, insecure wreck - where did the bold confident Lizzy that spoke out to Lady C de B disappear to and the "twist" totally contradicts one of the main points of P&P (Darcy's decision, admitted with almost pride during proposal 1, in leading Bingley away from Jane)? It is badly written, the only lines of merit are taken from P & P in an unsuccessful attempt to lift the calibre of this piece. It pains me to utterly belittle a work that someone presumably put time, love and effort into, but this truely is an awful book. Don't bother.
on 1 July 2013
At the end of Pride and Prejudice, Jane and Elizabeth both marry their heroes - on the same day, it is hinted strongly. A year has passed, and Elizabeth is not yet pregnant. Jane, on the other hand, is about to give birth to child number two, and already has a daughter who is running in and out of rooms! Lydia has been married a few months longer than her sisters, and in that time has managed to produce FOUR children, all under the age of four, apparently.

More reproductive aberrations: In his final letter to Mr Bennet in P&P, Mr Collins tells him that Charlotte is expecting a child. At the start of this book (or, four children later, for Lydia), Lady Lucas is delighted to tell Mrs Bennet that Charlotte is expecting a child. Her first child. No mention of any concern because of previous pregnancies that did not end happily.

These howlers right at the start of the book did not give me confidence, and nothing that came subsequently changed that. We have a lachrymose Elizabeth Bennet who behaves more like Fanny Price at the start of Mansfield Park, married to a cardboard cut-out Mr Darcy about whose character and personality the new Mrs Darcy seems to have some sort of amnesia, and a load of pantomime characters who are depicted without wit or personality. Emma Tennant has lifted a few witticisms from the original text and recycled them (killing them dead in the process).

Only the names are the same, in short. I picked it up very cheap, so didn't waste much money. I strongly advise Jane Austen fans to steer well clear.
on 8 December 2009
This is quite possibly the worst book I have ever read. From the dreadful opening line to the end,it doesn't have an endearing quality. Has the author even read Pride and Predjudice? The time that has passed since the marriages of the sisters,and the ages and numbers of the different children don't add up at all. Even if Jane was heavily pregnant at her wedding it doesn't explain Lydia's Four children! In another example of dreadful research, Mrs Hurst says "I am told you have an aunt who lives in Cheapside........ it is quite a way from Cheapside to Pemberley, to be sure. But we should all be sorry to hear she had come such a distance only to find herself lodged at Rowsley with Mrs Gardner"
Lizzy assures Mrs Hurst that her London aunt was not coming to Pemberley and had never considered doing so, but Mrs Gardner was taking Lodgings at Rowsley, as was her habit!!!
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Mrs Gardener IS the London aunt!
If you've already bought this book, read it and enjoy laughing at the truley appalling writing - if you haven't yet bought it - save your money and look for a different sequel.
on 24 January 2014
I am a sucker for Pride and Prejudice and just love Elizabeth and Darcys story so I wanted to know more about their story. Of course I am a die hard Austen fan and P&P is my fave book and Tennant is no Austen but she comes close. She manages to take Austens beloved charachters and continue their story in such a way that once again we fall under their spell. Again I really felt Elizabeths struggles and enjoyed turning every page. worth buying and one of the best Austen style writers out there.
VINE VOICEon 1 February 2013
If Emma Tennant sees herself in the same literary class as Jane Austen I wonder where she got that idea. To even open a novel which purports to be a sequel to Pride and Prejudice with a travesty based on the famous lines known the world over as well as they are makes one wonder what Tennant was thinking. Jane Austen had a unique style as most of the classical authors did/do and to attempt to replicate that is scandalous. Yet another example of an author trying to write a sequel to a mighty and worthy novel. It doesn't work.