• Witch

Customer reviews

Witch
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 October 2017
I read Barbara Michaels books many years ago so thought I would try them again. I have not been disappointed and enjoyed this book.
on 19 November 2016
Good story
on 3 May 2014
great book really had me on edge all time every time I had to put it down could not wait to pick it back up again
on 7 January 2014
Really gripping read great story good characters enjoyed it very much. Will be telling others to order from same author.
on 29 January 2015
My title says most of my opinion of this really. I'm a vintage gothic mystery and romance fan, and had high hopes for this novel as I love the puritans and witches as ghosts meme. It was okay and that's it. Also, the characters were often unlikeable when not meant to be seen that way, (for example, a love interest who threatens to break a woman's teenage daughters's arm - even as a joke - doesn't come across well). The ghosts and paranormal theme also wasn't developed as much as I hoped - it was more romance.
VINE VOICEon 31 August 2010
There appears to be a certain formula to this kind of book, woman in failed marriage needing to be alone buys house in remote part of the countryside complete with urban myth........i.e. The Witch of the title. Sadly this book was like deja vu..........I've read that many that follow this line I speed read through it but was nicely surprised by the really good twist at the end hence the 3 stars.

Overall though I thought it somewhat boring and not enough background was given to the reader about the Witch and the rather odd townsfolk.
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 July 1999
This book is brilliant!!! I can't understand why I couldn't find any other reveiws on it. It kept me captivated up until the very last page. I found the ending shocking and sad. I won't say why though. Mr Pike always seems to end things the opposite way to what I expect. This is probably the best way as nobody would bother to read his books if they could all guess correctly how it would end. The best ending is a completely unexpected ending, even if it is sad, it is the best way to end the book as it makes it more realistic than just opting for a happy ending all the time. Read it.
on 15 June 2016
Oliver this the book you must read. An amazing gripping book.
on 9 July 2004
I have to warn you, before you read any more of this review, is that if you're looking for a book that has a happy ending, this is NOT for you, it surprised and shocked me to see that it didn't but in a way you can look at it in a paradox, that it was a happy ending in a way, but i can't tell you because that'd ruin the book!
It is enthrailing from beginning to end and if you like horror and mystery i would have to say that Pike is the best of them all, he captures the spirit and keeps you reading until you reach the last page, then wanting more!
All his books are spectacular and this is one of the novels from his highest ability.
on 27 June 2011
This is the first Barbara Michaels (or Elizabeth Peters, as she is also known) book that I've read, so I wasn't sure quite what to expect. I've seen her compared to current authors such as Susanna Kearsley and Rachel Hore (both of whose books I very much enjoy), so I thought this was worth a go.

It took me a little while to get into, but once I did I really enjoyed this book. It has real gothic atmosphere and became a page-turner as the plot got going.

The heroine, Ellen, moves to the country, to an isolated and supposedly haunted cottage quite a distance from the rest of her family. In her attempt to show some independence and cut the ties that she feels she needs to be free of, she decides to make a life in the cottage in a clearing in the woods, with no-one except her cat for company. She soon meets her wealthy neighbour, Norman, and his teenage nephew Tim, who is the local delinquent. The other villagers are not at all what she expects, and all is not what it seems. Soon it looks like Ellen may have got in over her head...

I enjoyed this book, and although the writing style was perhaps a little dated, it didn't detract from the story. The only weakness was that I guessed the outcome of the book long before the end, and it was pretty easy to predict what would happen. All the same, I read this in less than a day, and I will certainly be reading more of this author's books as soon as I can get my hands on them.