on 2 April 2013
This cookery book is a godsend for times when money is short, and you want to cook something without too much fuss. The leek and carrot soup is delicious. I was glad to see this book back in circulation, I remember it from years ago.
on 12 June 2007
I can't remember how many copies of this book I have bought - because it's so good I recommend it to friends and end up by giving them my copy. It combines Delia's infallible recipes with budget conscious ingredients and proves that good food doesn't have to be high priced.
on 18 April 2014
I've enjoyed reading through this cook book to get Delia's take on frugal eating as well and it being a re-print from 1976.

Most of the recipies are common sense recipies rather that frugal in the sense that I've become accustomed, the extravagance seems to have been cut but some of the basic ingredience used are far from frugal - i.e. Beef, tuna and the tonnes of creme that is used throughout the book. Although some of the recipies are cheap to make and sound fantastic soup au chou - bacon and cabbage soup - although old fashioned would go down fantastic in our house, as would deviled drumsticks and kidney stroganoff. I am Aldo desperate to try the sugarless orange and sultana cake although I would omit the egg as I feel it would be to rich with all that condenced milk.

This book is relevant to today's frugal eating chefs but I feel it needs many more vegetarian recipies as meat costs a lot of money.

So a three star review for this interesting but not that frugal recipe book.
on 30 September 2013
I bought this book in the '70s when I was setting up home for the first time, and have used it ever since. A number of the recipes are firm family favourites (sausages in chili sauce) although obviously things that used to be cheap (fish) simply aren't any more - or rather things like cod aren't.

I bought two copies this time (one for my sister-in-law) - my original paperback copy is battered and stained from use. It's a useful guide to eating well on a budget - the best things in life can be cheap even if not free (although obviously there is whole other book on food for free!). As ever with Delia, there is very little in the way of fancy technique, it's all very well explained and easy to follow and the recipes all work every time, which is great if you are a less than confident cook. The recipes are generally not madly time consuming for the most part and are basically good home cooking with a budget in mind. Highly recommended, especially for people setting up home for the first time and suddenly getting a whole new appreciation of Mum's ability to put food on the table every night of the week!
VINE VOICEon 22 November 2008
"Frugal Food" was the first cookbook that I bought. That was 25 years ago. Since then, my (much-used) paperback copy has fallen apart and gone to the great recycling plant in the sky.

It's good, then, to find, not only a new edition, but one that's been updated to take account of changes in what we eat and how we cook. Lard and dripping have been replaced by ground nut oil and you don't even have to make your own pastry - frozen is fine. Good, too, that this has been issued as a hardback: paperback cookery books were never a good idea.

The recipes are basically the same as before - good food made from ingredients that won't break the bank - simple enough for students, ordinary enough for the family and good enough to serve to friends.

Although the emphasis is on economy, there's more than a hint of comfort food here that will not go amiss as the recession deepens and the thermometer falls. Beef in cider - yum - I can hardly wait.
0Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2008
Although I had not read the original 'Frugal Food' I still found this book useful. It is based on her original book published in the '70s and has been updated for today's readers/cooks.

As a child of the seventies I found it very interesting from a 'historical' point of view (TVP anyone?) and the recipes are easy to follow and simple for just normal everyday food.

Most people know that to eat cheaply you have to shop in season and buy as little processed food as possible which is quite different to her 'how to Cheat' book - clearly Delia is aware of the changes in the economy since her last book!
on 21 March 2009
I bought this book hoping it would inspire me with thrifty recipes to cheer my table in these penny pinching days. There are a handful of recipes i would try but a distinct lack of pictures make for an uninspiring tome. Im not a great Delia fan so maybe that's the problem, maybe the die-hard Delia fans out there might rate it higher than i did.
on 26 November 2008
I bought this after reading the other reviews and I have not been disappointed. Her common sense shines through as always and of the recipes tried thus far, my hungry brood of teenagers have loved them. Thank you for re publishing it.
on 26 November 2012
Had the paperback version of this book for 25 years and used it a lot as a young housewife with limited means. Unfortunately it looked rather well used with pages falling out so decided to buy a new version. The recipes are basic, but in these financially tight times they are very useful. I still refer to this book for cheap tasty meals, e.g.pasta dishes, ways of cooking sausage and one particular favourite of my children, Kidney Hotpot. Would recommend this book for families on a budget - Delia is a no nonsense cook and her dishes are nutritious and fairly easy to follow.
on 19 November 2008
I have been using this book since it was first published and my old copy fell apart some years ago, forcing me to search for another copy which I managed to do via Amazon. Since then, guess what, Frugal Food has suddenly come into it's own, with a whole new edition!!

I use this book all the time for good homely reliable recipes - just look at all the things you can do with a pound of sausages, and every receipe a winner - you will not regret buying this book at all!!