Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 October 2013
This book is an essential purchase for everyone who either currently teach in primary schools or student teachers that are learning at university.

The writing style is accessible, engaging and appeals to the reader unlike many other books in this field.

As a student you will find it an essential reference point for developing pedagogical skills that are effective. As an active teacher it will be extremely helpful when looking at developing new ideas and overcoming potential barriers within the classroom.

Simply put this book is a must have!
on 13 August 2013
As a trainee primary school teacher I've read a lot of books about teaching maths - and this is the easiest, most practical books I've read so far.

I've used this book both in university and in school, and it's aiding me with my understanding and assignments, and I used it to inform my planning in school.

The layout and ordering of the book makes it easy to either read cover to cover, or to look up information about a specific topic or unit of work. In school I did exactly that, quickly flicking to the section I was teaching the next day, and upon reading rapidly realised I was about to teach a misconception - oops! - but thanks to this books I avoided it, new what to do instead, and (most importantly) I understood why what I was going to do would have built a misconception.

Overall the book is easy to use and read for all teaching and student purposes, and uses a very clear, to the point and easy to understand tone and vocabulary (this isn't another one of those horrible textbooks where you need to swallow a dictionary before reading!) - just a lovely immensely useful book.

I'd recommend this to all teachers.
on 26 July 2013
This book is great, it is so easy to read and the chapters are all broken into simple sections. Each chapter contains a section on common misconceptions this is fabulous especially for a Student Teacher like myself as it means that before I go into the classroom and teach a topic I can be prepared to look out for any misconceptions, as well as having a plan to solve these problems. My favourite section of the book is the suggested activities for all the year groups within the key stages 1 and 2, they are very practical and easy to follow. I have already used the idea of 'Decoy Shapes' within my assignment. This is a brilliant book that Student Teachers, Teachers, Lecturers and anyone with a passion for maths should read.
on 11 June 2013
I love this book because it gives an abundance of suitable activities for particular year groups. It is a valuable resource for students and teachers alike and I will be using it to support my practice when changing Key Stage. It is very practical in its approach, highlighting misconceptions to plan for whilst giving photographic and pictorial examples of methods used in primary teaching. This text is an ideal mix of theory and practice, perfect for the classroom.
on 9 July 2013
This text provides ideas for classroom activities, addressing possible misconceptions and developing mathematical thinking and reasoning. It is an ideal book to have to hand whether you are an aspiring teacher or one with many years of experience. The book is clearly illustrated throughout with photographs and examples of children's work. An ideal companion whether you are looking for a new classroom activity or you just want to brush up on your mathematical knowledge.
on 5 August 2013
A fantastic read! I would recommend this book as an absolute 'must' for anybody involved in the teaching of primary mathematics. The 'down to earth' approach helps make all areas of primary mathematics accessible. There are so many simple yet effective ideas to try out in the classroom. It is such a great resource that will be a real support towards delivering high quality maths lessons.
on 20 January 2015
Absolutely adore this book, really useful and accessible!
It makes the idea of teaching Maths much less scary!