Customer reviews

Starting From The Child: Teaching And Learning In The Foundation Stage
Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 July 2017
This is a superb book. I bought it originally for my PGDE as I enjoyed the two chapters we were originally assigned, and used it for a few essays throughout the year, as well in reflections on school placements. Properly reading through it in full going into my probation year in P2 has been a delight - as nerdy as that may sound. Julie Fisher writes in a clear, accessible manner with an engaging, realistic tone and good pace throughout the book. Much has been said about this book, as it is obviously a staple for anyone working in the early years, so I will not blather on about it. However, I consider it an excellent, practical yet inspiring resource and will definitely continue to refer to it in the future. One point I will make is that despite focusing on the early years (and the English curriculum), this book remains relevant for any practitioner in primary education. The early years are the foundation for all learning that happens, and understanding how they impact this is essential for teachers of older students as well.
on 8 November 2015
Great book for studying childhood practice
on 8 February 2014
I needed for placements in nursery and early years and assignments. Well worth it and its a very easy read.
on 2 December 2013
An essential book for anyone working in the Early Years Foundation Stage- I love Julie Fisher's writing- clear and informative.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This latest edition of Julie Fisher's book brings it right up to date. As before, the book offers a hugely useful resource for anyone involved in early childhood education at any level. Julie Fisher's skill is in making clear how learning takes place in a child -focused play environment: she shows how this happens while at the same time giving the clearest and most inspiring ideas for providing and improving the environment.New aspects are a round-up of research into brain development, and an introduction to her work on how interactions and conversations with adults work best in different contexts to support children's learning.

With this edition Julie Fisher maintains her principled stance against the imposition of developmentally inappropriate curriculum and approaches, and strengthens us all to carry on striving for what we know works best!
on 21 March 2013
As the owner of a number of Outstanding nurseries, I am always looking for ways to inspire my teams and continue to raise the quality of the nurseries. Starting from the Child by Julie Fisher has enabled me to do exactly that. It is the complete guide to providing children with the very best early childhood experiences. It covers all angles and ensures the child is at the heart of all we do. If you want to achieve the highest standards of early education, I would highly recommend that this book is the best place to start.
on 5 March 2013
This is an interesting and insightful read and as well as drawing on key theorists from the past it also brings you up to date with the latest theories and practices surrounding the foundation stage. With clear reference to the new and updated EYFS (2012), it provides excellent guidance for both students and practitioners. It has remained a key text throughout my Early Childhood degree and will continue be a well used resource way beyond university and well into my teaching career. This very readable and informative book is a fantastic text to accompany any Early Childhood degree.
on 16 March 2013
As a final year student at Oxford Brookes, I have used Julie Fisher throughout my degree. the latest edition of this book was a must. It is really well written and easy to understand, links to the curriculum and theory. Even though I am graduating this year I know I will be using it through my career.
I have recommended it too everyone in my year group
on 14 April 2013
Julie Fisher's latest book, 'Starting From The Child' gives a refreshing and child-centred view of how schools should and could work. Her accessible writing style enables the reader to engage fully with the material, theories and examples that are included. I think that anybody who is truly interested in the education of young children will find this book of enormous value.
on 11 March 2013
As an Early Childhood studies student I have come across the works of Fisher a lot and this book is no acception of her great work! It is relevent to many of my modules and the book is interesting and easy to read. I would deffinately recommend the book to any one who would consider buying it!