Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 September 2012
As a team manager for a social work team, I think this is a great book that I will use with unqualified, student and newly qualified social workers who are undertaking ALL home visits. Although this book is specifically written for 'child protection' home visits, I think it is relevant for all home visits - as a 'child in need' home visit could lead to the case being a child protection one.

This is an easy book to read and easy to dip in and out of. I like the check-lists and think that often experienced social workers need to be reminded of these. I loved the practice examples and related to many of them, recalling visits from the past that I thought I had forgotten.

This book really highlights how important multi-agency working is and how for social workers the police are a great ally (even if we have to keep them hidden in the background 'just in case'). I would like the author to have included in the section on joint working how this can enable social workers to learn from each other, observing different methods of dealing with difficult situations. I am not sure about having one worker watching the car whilst the other was doing the intervention - I think that perhaps this could have been tackled differently.

I also like the way the author addresses the issue of verbal abuse and threats that social workers are exposed to on a regular basis. She recognises that this is an occupational hazard and the importance of team support. This area of the work is not going to change and social workers need to be resilient in order to manage it.

Overall, a great resource that I predict will become my new bible.
on 16 July 2012
A well written, informative and user friendly book. I wish this had been written when I was a student health visitor. It provides excellent practical guidance, not only for those learning to become a community health or social care practitioner but for those who are newly qualified or have been practising for some time. It also provides a valuable insight for pre-registration nursing students who are undertaking health visiting placements.

I particularly liked the good/poor practice points, examples from practice, checklists and reminder boxes. The flow charts are also a useful tool for decision making.

It was pleasing to see acknowledgement of the importance of trusting instinct and `hunches'. These are often overlooked in text books as they are perceived to be lacking in evidence base or academic rigour - this is not important if it saves a child from harm.

The book provides an in-depth and detailed exploration of every aspect of home visiting in child protection. Some of the points covered can be equally applied to home visiting for any purpose. The guidance on preparation for the home visit is invaluable and outlines both excellent practice and common pitfalls. It is inevitable that community practitioners will sometimes be caught unawares by a client's situation or behaviour, the guidance provided by this book helps to ensure that basic principles are met before considering more complex issues. It also highlights that one should always expect the unexpected; no matter how experienced you are. The chapter on gaining access to the home is a topic which is often neglected but vital in ensuring that work with children and families can actually take place!

The overarching themes of the child as the focus, attention to personal safety and multi-agency working are commendable and necessary. The first two are often forgotten once one is embroiled in a complex situation and history clearly illustrates that failure to undertake the latter is all too common, often with dire consequences.

The author's very human, honest and self-effacing approach to writing this book is refreshing. So many authors give the impression of being faultless experts. Joanna Nicolas helps you believe that you can work effectively in this field, no matter now daunted you may be. Every community practitioner caring for children and families should carry this book with them.
on 4 January 2013
was disappointed by the size of book but it is a pocket book after all and after reading it I was well pleased. handy size for keeping with you. great short case studies of situations, easy to read and really interesting. seller recommended too
on 17 February 2013
This pocketbook has been most insightful for me as a student going out in to practice for the first time. The examples provided are based on Joanna's own practice which bring the experiences to life. The useful tips and suggestions given for different circumstances I have found extremely beneficial. What I found most useful was the 'Good Practice' boxes, which not only remind us to be mindful of social work values and ethics, but to keep ourselves safe and remain consciously aware of the environmental risks for children living in the home. It is a brilliant book I can always refer back to, to remind myself of what to do in certain situations. I would recommend this book for all social care students conducting home visits for the first time.
on 30 June 2012
I read this little book in a day - I wanted to refresh my child protection knowledge and this was just the thing. Very practical with lots of sensible tips to follow. Definately worth the price!
on 21 February 2014
Excellent book for social work students, it gives great tips on what to do when doing a home visit. Might seem basic or simple but that suited me fine as it is clear, concise and easy to read. A straight forward guide and great reference book to have in your library.
on 1 April 2013
easy reading, type of book that can be dipped in and out of, ideal for newly qualified as learning tool or practice supervisor to offer guidance/advice to others
on 29 October 2014
Arrived quickly and in good condition as described. The book is clear and concise, useful for students, new practitioners and a good refresher for more experienced practitioners
on 30 August 2013
This is a very useful guide for both newly qualified and more experienced practitioners. It is full of practical tips.
on 28 May 2012
I hope you enjoy this book which has been written from the heart. Home visiting is one of the hardest parts of the job and one for which there is often little preparation, in terms of dealing with difficult situations and what you are actually there to do. The aim of this book is to give you help with the practicalities. It is not a text book but a practical guide and I truly hope you find it helpful.
I am gratified by the responses I have had to it so far and please write your review here too.